when i try to start my car the key just free turns with no sound at all what do i need to do

130

Asked by Jan 30, 2015 at 05:12 PM about the 1999 Ford Taurus SE

i bought a new lock cylinder and ignition switch and put them on and its doing the same
thing

Does the key feel right, turn to 'start' and return? Or am I misunderstanding your question..the no sound meaning no sound of engine trying to start...or no sound, clicks from switch and it turns freely? Does not return to 'run' from 'start?

130

i free turns ... all the dash lights comes on but it wont start

130

and no it dose nor return from run to start

All I can think of is you got a bad switch. I Googled the problem and looked at some forums, but here is something.. 1996 Taurus GL. I let someone drive my car a while back and they tried to pull the key out hard enough to remove the plastic around the metal. It's a non-transponder type so no bother there. Since then the key has been getting stuck in the ignition on occasion. Yesterday I went to turn the ignition and it felt like something broke. The cluster panel came on and the ignition moves freely 180 degrees and will not start. Thinking it was the ignition lock cylinder I purchase a new ignition from a local Auto Zone that already had the keys cut. The one that matches mine with the plastic shroud and non-transponder. Removed the old ignition and popped the new one in. It moved as freely as the old ignition but started the car. I wasn't able to turn the car off with the ignition as it moved freely without any pressure and was able to remove the key with the car running. I called the local Ford dealership and asked them what their opinion was and they said it sounds like something is broke in the steering column. http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13486

130

come to the conclusion that i have a rod in the steering column that is broken...do you know what rod i am talking about and what it is called and where i can find a replacement rod?

60

What did it end up being?? I am having the same issue.

I'm having the same problem. Is it a rod in the steering column or ignition switch

left key in switch free turn what can i do 1997 frod taurus