Fuel filter

10

Asked by Mar 26, 2017 at 05:04 PM about the 2003 Kia Optima LX V6

Anyone know where the fuel filter is on my 03 kia
optima ?? Tryna fix it myself

24,545

I get two locations so check to see which is yours by looking in the two locations. In the gas tank, access panel is located in the trunk by rear seat This one may not need servicing unless doing a pump change. 2nd is left side of gas tank but outside it, some have it some do not,

10

Ugh i pray you are still on here never saw this but my brother in law too the whole tire/wheel bs off and there was only the evap pugrge valve thingy (rectangular box) then we found the panel in the trunk and their was the fuel pump but he didn't want to remover the whole fuel pump and the filter not even be under it. We looked all under the car and didn't see it

10

Also i was told one is in the tank (but my fuel pump is fine) and i need the change the inline filter. My car is making me start it over and over after getting gas and i have to do a flood clear to get it running it turns over and rubs but cuts off. My code only reads about a catylic converter

24,545

Stop at a muffler shop have them put it on a lift and inspect the system. If your cat is bad you need a new one. If its up stream from it like spark plugs, injectors ect causing the code set then that could very well be the staying cranked issue.

10

Hold on you're saying cat as in catylic converter .....okay so my catylic converter can effect the fact that when i go to the gas station i have to start it over and over ?

10

I feel super slow but iget what you are saying now so im going to return this filter have someone tell me forsure whats wrong and pray its small. Then do it on Wednesday thank you! You are so much help and saved me time and money !

24,545

The catalytic converter code may need further investigation. Cat may be good. There are other reason for a cat code. Like for instance, faulty Ignition parts (plugs, wires or injectors ect.) or since you having the issue after putting gas in the tank then I suggest the EVAP system, The most common faults I've found are the EVAP canister assemblies or the purge valve.

24,545

When filling up gas tank be sure to stop at the first click so your not over filling the tank.

24,545

In the mean time, after you fill up, press the gas pedal to the floor & hold it while starting. This puts the computer in "clear flood mode" & reduces the amount of fuel delivered to the engine. You may have a faster start up at the gas station.

24,545

But it sounds like the problem is going to be a faulty Canister Purge Solenoid Valve. These are actually extremely common fail items on many different Kia vehicles.

10

Okay a mechanic told me i may need 02 sensors but its nothing causing my car to have problems starting. And i probably dont need 02s because i get great mileage. Im gonna look into the evap and the canister purge because you aren't the first to tell me this and i spoke to a kia dealer who told me the filter is inside the tank. And my sisters brother said the fuel pump seemed okay so im going to try these things. I didn't know getting a damn diagnostic was do high lol its $70^ everywhere or maybe im cheap but the place i used to go to charged $25.

10

Why dont cars come with a check fuel system or other system light it would make mine and many others lives easier

10

One more thing can bad gas be the cause ? I was told i should use mid grade gas (didn't know i could)

24,545

I dont think its the gas. Check into the purge valve first. I do think its the o2 either, the evap system can cause the o2 code to set.

24,545

Look for loose or bad or off vacuum hoses too, all over but be sure to check those to EVAP cannister and purge valve, to & from gas tank.

10

Okay will do. Thank you again ! You sound like you know what you are talking about And from what i read you are hitting on the nail thank you !!!

10

Thought I'd post update for others. I changed the canister purge valve (myself) after finishing drove to gas station &it worked right away! $45 Saved me so much money !!!!

24,545

Happy you got it working, thanks for the update.