I have a 2005 kia sorento and i installed a new fuel pump and im trying to put a aftermarket fuel gauge because my stock guge doesnt work, my aftermarket works but when the car mover the needle swing up and down. I would like to know wht to do make it steady when driving the car

Asked by Jan 13, 2013 at 03:06 PM about the 2005 Kia Sorento EX

109,085

There's not much you can do without electronics training. The fuel gauge is actually a electrical volt meter like all electric gauges. Power is applied to one side and the sending unit in the tank provides a variable ground connection. A full tank raises the float and the most current is allowed to pass. A series/parallel circuit would have to be developed to attenuate the signal. The circuit that did that is built into your gauge cluster. You could try wiring your new gauge into the old gauge circuitry. Your other option is to live with it and check your fuel level when stopped or driving at a steady rate. If the needle stops dancing, there is not enough fuel to raise the float so find a gas station.

So if i decide to wire my new gauge to the old gauge circuit, how can i do that? My stock cluster the fuel needle is always in half tank even with the car off. Whn switch on then it moves all the way up and i only have 1/4 of gas in the tank. So can i wire my new gauge to the stock circuit but is it located in the cluster circuit or in the plugs in the fuel pump, there is two plugs, 1 that has 2 wires and the other has 4wires.

4,010

before you go to nuts with putting in a new fuel gauge id pull the pump back out to be sure you dont have the float caught on a baffle in the fule tank or the pump in a little off center and its holding up the float. in almost ten years of working on kias ive never seen a bad fuel guage , but yours could be the first ive heard of.

20

Mine is the same Sometimes it says it fill and other times to stays on E even when I have filled the tank WHAT A PAIN..... Does the entire gas tank need to be replaced as thats going to be quite costly

60

must be a common problem, mine when i fill my tank needle will register correctly for the first 40/50 miles. then drops to empty, i have to set the trip gauge and go by mileage. its a pain because i have to completely fill the tank each time i fill it..