Overheating

25

Asked by Sep 04, 2011 at 11:30 AM about the 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4 Dr SE

I've got a 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 that is registering overheating.  Within the last week, I have replaced the thermostat, fan clutch, water pump, coolant temp sensor, drain and flush system, and replaced with fresh antifreeze.  It is still registering at about 240 and a slight smell of antifreeze.  Heater core was replaced about 8 months ago.  I can't rack my brain anymore!!!! NO LEAKS, JUST THE SMELL AND THE OVERHEATING GAUGE......WHAT ELSE IS THERE???????????

25

headgasket would be one of the only things left that i could think of

295

i work in the automotive machine shop the 4.0l tend to crack the casting will split in the center BETWEEN the 2 valve seats and will cause coolent to be burnt in the combustion chamber best thing to do is to pull the head and sent it to a automotive machine shop ask for this to be done clean and crack test the head... if its not cracked do a leak down test on the valves to make sure there not leaking *****i would change the valve seals**** your allready there and they come in the top end gasket set resurface the head!! and your ready to rock!!! also the head bolts on the jeep are "torque to yeild" wich mean one time use only DO NOT REUSE the head bolts get a new set!! here is the part numbers for the stuff you will need hs9076pt-3 FEL-PRO head gasket set