Help... My Jeep keeps shutting down

5

Asked by Apr 25, 2015 at 01:41 PM about the 2000 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD

It starts up fine but dies randomly sometimes you can go all day other times a few yards
then displays the no key in the instrumentation panel.. Had new key made. No
improvement. Will turn over but until no key light goes out it will not re start. SETS NO
CODES..always says PASS with two different hand held devices including a high end
Mac Mentor. Replaced the crank sensor. No change. Took steering column apart cleaned
every connection.. No change... Took radio out looked for added wires or iPod
connection.. Nothing there no change. Took all fuses out cleaned each one & cleaned
fuse block.. No change... Took main computer out of car checked everything cleaned all
the harnesses and pugs.reinstalled no change. Also key fobs have no effect.. New
batteries in fobs.. Took to locksmith had them check .. They are still programmed in the
computer.. Still nothing. Replaced battery.. No effect.  Replaced main battery terminals
with all new soldered copper ends. No effect. I'm usually pretty electrical savvy but I can't
find this one. 4 months now. I'm going crazy I've done everything I read in the forums.
The car runs perfect when it's running. Please I'm begging for help!!!

102,315

Have you had the chip in the new key reprogrammed? Provided it is the right chip set for your Jeep.

5

Yes.. Both keys are programmed. I've even tried useing a different key when it quits key... Unfortunately makes no difference. Factory keys & fobs...

5

It's extremely frustrating. You'll be driving down the road and at any time anywhere it just stops running. Everything works except tach & speedo drop to zero. It's shuts down the fuel pump. The no key symbol comes up. You get out of the car disconnect the battery cable wait about 5 or more mins reconnect the battery cable and the car will re start. Something is affecting the SKIM system but what???

102,315

It might be the system itself fouling up, I myself always referred anyone that came to me with key recognition problems to the dealers, there are just too many variables on the newer vehicles, not like when they first started and you could bypass the whole thing with just a resistor. Maybe someone else has ran across this problem. Have you tried some of the Jeep forums on the Internet? Every once in awhile they list a really odd problem and there is an answer, might be worth checking out before you head off to the money sucking dealer.