1999 ZX2 with 2.0 liter Zetec engine "Timing Belt and cam shaft marks?"

Asked by Feb 15, 2011 at 08:57 AM about the 1999 Ford Escort 2 Dr ZX2 Hot Coupe

Timing belt broke in the shop when turning engine with Crank bolt. I know nothing like last minute. Need to know exact alingments for dbl over head cams. Using fire order I can get them close but need exact. Is there a special tool for the end of the cams? If so are these noches supose to be perfectly horizontal?

11,845

You may have done valve damage - Hopefully not. Get engine up on number one compression stroke. Then align BOTH cam slots yo both be horizontal so you can slide a bar into the slots on both cams ( There is a special tool but I use a screwdriver with the right thicvkness and length to make sure the cams do not move whgen crossed between both cams ) The tensioner is the reason you drop the belt - it is goofey - remove it and LEARN HOW IT OPERATES. Before attempting adjustment. Good Luck