strong fuel smell

40

Asked by Jul 01, 2012 at 06:18 PM about the 2000 Isuzu Rodeo LS

Hi guys... hope you can help unstump the dummy. 2000 Isuzu Rodeo v6 engine automatic.. for
several weeks we can smell a very strong gas odor when the car is running even in the car following
behind it ! Used a Snap-on solus reader and the only code I get is a P0401 which is a egr code. I don't
think the two are related but it's all I got... Car runs out fine...idles smooth with and without A/c on.
searched high and low for fuel leak from front to rear and can find nothing... took it to a competent
repair shop and same story... they can smell it but they can't find it.

No Isuzu dealer within miles so here I sit smelling gas and stumped.. this is the wife's car and she's
getting irritated..

any ideas ?? suggestions?? cwags ???

thanks in advance

John

25

Have you run out of gas recently and needed to fill the tank with a gas can?

40

nope ... keep a 1/4 tank minimum all the time to keep the fuel pump cooled.

1,675

u should check the gas filler cap may be it6s rubber seal is off or broken , and if that's not it i think your fuel tank seal is damaged or something or the fuel tank it self because there is a pump fitted to it which seals get hard due to heated temperatures . if that's not it either i say your fuel lining is damaged some where

40

I would think that if the filler cap was bad or missing its seal that you'd get a gross evap leak code... I'm getting no codes other than the egr code (401) that I mentioned... hadn't considered the fuel pump seal... guess that means pulling the tank... oh boy !

40

follow up.... rodeo finally go to running rough and took it to the shop...same egr code. Cleaned the egr valve AND the passageway to it...fixed the rough idle AND THE FUEL SMELL IS GONE !!!!! JOHN

30

Cleaned the egr valve AND the passageway to it.??? where is this Located? Please let me know

20

Fuel pressure regulator, my 2000 had same issues, this fixed mine, only cost me $45.00 for part good luck. Check computer reading said erg , auto zone suggested this, mine OK now, good luck

30

I asked a question about my 2001 Isuzu rodeo Gas Smell Took it to the Service station found out to be the Gas hose behide the Engine had a small leak They did fix my problem and no more Gas Smell Cost was $ 125.00 Parts and Labor.