I'm having problems with the alternator on my 2000 ford tuarus

235

Asked by Jul 04, 2013 at 04:06 PM about the 2000 Ford Taurus SE

I took my car into a local shop to get the heads checked out. When I got the car back I
noticed the battery light was on and it wasnt before. I brought a new battery and
replaced the alternator. The light turned off for about 10 minutes after that it turn back
on. I have replaced the alternator two times every time it turns off for a couple of cranks
and then comes back on. I take it in and they say it test fine. My friend has a voltage
regulator tester and it test bad but, if i take it in they tell me that it test good. Why is
the battery light coming on it didnt do that before.

101,795

Have you checked the alternator fuse?

235

yes all of the fuses are good. I checked the ground wires and checked the wires for any breakage signs and found none. The alternator fuse is in the engine compartment next to the battery.

235

I didn't have this problem before and now it's driving me crazy. The spark plug wires are new. It starts up fine but that battery light wont turn off. If I let the car run it will drain the battery

101,795

Sounds as if you checked everything. What did he do when checking the heads. Did he possibly take the ground wire loose from the motor? This will cause same issue.

101,795

If alternator is good you are loosing the connection some where either on the positive cable from alternator to the battery, the battery connection itself, the ground connections on battery, on frame, on motor and or the raw metal connection of the alternator to the motor.

101,795

Is belt installed correctly on alternator and tight after you replaced it?

101,795

Did he check voltage right at alternator? With both test leads of meter touching alternator. If you test right at alternator and have voltage you can swap test leads one on alternator and the other on battery to find which connection is lost. Will take several tests of swapping leads but it will identify whether your problem is on the positive side or negative side.

235

I unbolted the ground wire coming from the chasis of the car to the engine block and cleaned it and put it bolted it back on. The connection on the the wire harness that connects to the alternator was bad so I bought a new pig tail connection and I am going to install it.I bought a new alternator but I'm afraid to install it because it might burn out the voltage regulator again.

235

I'm going to try that do I put both leads on the alternator well the car is running or do i put one lead on the yellow wire coming from the battery and the other to the negative or ground.

235

Yes the belt is installed correctly.

101,795

One on the positive connection of alternator or battery and the other on the frame/body of the alternator or the negative side of the battery. But sounds like you found your issue with the bad pig tail.

235

the insulation on bad pig tail was breaking off into pieces but the wires never touched each other but i will change it anyways. I hope this is going to solve the problem. I hope the new alternator doesn't burn out.

235

I will keep you posted mark I really appreciate your time and advise.

101,795

Glad I could help. And I'm dandyoun. (Mark helpful) is a button for you to press if my answers were either helpful or the best. That mistake is made often. Good luck and keep us in formed.

56,855

Look for a ground strap that is supposed to go from the head to the firewall. Sounds like they forgot to hook it back up after the head was done. HTH. -Jim

235

I check that out and it was bolted down.

235

Hello, everybody I replaced the pigtail on the alternator and the problem went away. The three wires were making contact with each other and would burn out the voltage regulator everytime.

56,855

Glad to hear you figured it out and you're up and running again!! Thanks for letting us know. I actually forgot about that pigtail. The original ones were notorious, on Ford Products, for failure. For awhile, at NAPA, our reman alternators, for Fords, came with the pigtail. Thank you, you just refreshed my memory. -Jim

235

The car is running good now with heads rebuilt and a new battery and alternator. This site has really help me and I will do the same for somebody else. Thanks a million!

101,795

Glad that we could help. Drive safe.

Best Answer
20

I just bought my 2001 ford taurus, It was running great then it two days ago my car wouldnt start... so we went and bought a new battery.. then it still wouldnt start. Checked the alternator, turns out it was bad, replaced it with a brand new one... then it drove great... battery light went off... then I drove it to work yesterday ran fine. Went out for lunch at noon and as soon as I got to my destination and put it in park it shut up. I got a jump and barely made it two parking spots away. Took the car to advanced auto shops took the alternator off and they tested it.. says it fine but somewhere there is not a good connection. I have checked the fuses and those are fine. somethings draining the battery & I cant figure out what it is! HELP

56,855

Jenna, the large plug on the alternator is most likely bad. They were notorious for burning up. So much so that the rebuilt alternators, from NAPA used to come with a new plug. It'll be large, have 2 or 3 wires on it, and plug directly into the alternator. HTH. -Jim

20

I think I know what your talking about Jim, My father is working on it now. We did look at that plug, It didn't look bad but we never know right unless we change it. Just very frustrating, because we have checked everything but I feel that we are over looking some things. It has to be some ground wire. Or like you said the large plug that plugs into the alternator. Is that expensive to replace ? It has three prongs in it ? Mine is yellow I think.

20

Would taking the battery off while the car is running ruined the brain of the car ? Before they replaced the battery and new alternator they did take the battery off while the car was running and thats how they figured the alternator was bad... I was told that could have done damage also.

56,855

Oh, my Jenna! That's an OLD time test to see if the alternator is working. It should not be done on a newer vehicle!! I once did that test, years ago, on a 1970 Pontiac that I had. I successfully blew out all 4 headlights, tail lights, and a couple of fuses as well! That plug isn't too expensive. HTH. -Jim

235

What you have to do is take that alternator back and demand they give you another alt. The should with out and question. Install the new one make the negative cable is not hook up the battery. If it is I will short out the voltage regulator trust me I did twice before I realized What I did wrong. Once you have everything installed hook up neg cable should work and have no more issues make sure battery is fully charge if not your car will act crazy.

what you have to do is take the alternator back and DEMAND they give you another piece of poop. Plug is not to expensive,. once you have your pooped hook up , drink prune juice. it should work and you shouldn't have any more issues.

10

All the problems that i have read about, the same thing is happening to me this morning. i drove my care at 5a.m. and parked for maybe an hour or two and then when i go to crank .... its making a clicking noise... so i asked some one for a jump and it crank for a min. and cut off and did the same thing the second time. what the hell is going on?

Check Orange with the blue tracer wire underneath the air filter usually corrodes and brakes if you don't have 12 V or what's in the battery at on that wire at the alternator chances are that wire is corroded