head gasket

Asked by Jul 23, 2016 at 02:01 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab SB 4WD

Does a head gasket have to be blown into
beside a cylinder for the rsdiator to have
excessive pressure?

90,985

That is the most common cause of excessive cooling system pressure, there have been a few cases of high pressures in systems that have only been running water in them but they have all had other problems like a bad radiators, thermostats and water pumps.

Best Answer

In order for it to be blown does the metal ring have to be broken

90,985

Usually the ring will either blow, collapse, or crack, but a cracked head will also give you the same results, that's why the heads need to be checked and if they are good then milled flat.

I appreciate your help. This engine has never missed, had water in the oil, or steamed from the exhaust pipe. Three radiators started leaking in the exact same spot. When you feel the radiator up you have to put the cap on , otherwise a lot of the water is forced out. This will happen if the motor is cold or warm. The head gasket looks ruff but the rings arent broken. I cant see were water has been passing on the block or head but that realy dont say much. Do you think a cracked head is my problem?

90,985

That is why you have them checked and milled. It is possible that a head is warped enough that the gasket just no longer seals.

90,985

Was there a block checked performed before tear down?

The only thing done was a compression test. It showed two cylinders 5 lbs weaker than the rest. This is the first ive heard of a block check tho.

I was told that a blown head gasket is the only thing that would compress air into the radiator. Should've asked you FIRST!

90,985

8 out of 10 times it usually is, but occasionally you get some that crack heads, that is just the way it is, and unfortunately the cracked head numbers seem to be climbing, newer engine designs, more heat all taking it toll. Hope I've helped some. A block is an old school system and it is still one that works on even today's stuff.

Thank you lots for your help.