Moving Engine From one totaled truck to a new truck frame

Asked by Jul 17, 2017 at 10:43 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Standard Cab LB

I recently hydroplaned off the road and bent my trucks frame. I found a
similar year truck without a motor for sale, and want to move the good stuff
from my truck into that one. I want to know what the feasibility of project is.
What should I look out for? The motor is a 4.3 L, and its a 5 speed manual
transmission. Thinking of just moving motor and transmission together with
a cherry picker. I'm a little apprehensive though. Hardest thing I ever tried
as far as car work goes is drum breaks. How should I go about doing this??

2,195

did you get a price on having your frame straightened at a body shop ? At least it's chevy so the swap is not impossible , motor will need it's original computer , write down and mark everything you do , motor and tranny should come out together , any main /tranny/engine seals should be replaced for sure ,

The shop I went to said it was going to be athe least more than a $1500. My truck frame has 327000 miles on it, the newer frame has half that. My dad said that it wasnt worth it to fix the frame on a truck that old and beat up. Where should I go to find out about the seals? Is there anything else I should change when I swap?

2,195

all righty then , there's a main rear seal on the motor and the auto tranny has a seal for the shaft you can get them at parts stores , , ,these you can't get at once it's installed , if it's a 5 speed manual I would do the clutch unless that's new , it's easier to pull them together than trying to bolt them up from under the truck

So, when i take the motor+transmission(manual) out with a cherry picker I should repair/replace my clutch. What do you mean by that? Are there certain parts I should change out? Also, where can I find out what all the different connections I need to disconnect to move the engine. Also, is there a special way I have to take out the A/C

2,195

doesn't sound like you're prepared for such an endeavor , get what you can for the truck and move on

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still going to try to tackle it.