1985c10 Chevy 305

Chris Nettles

Asked by May 19, 2016 at 04:58 AM about the 1985 Chevrolet C/K 10 Standard Cab LB

Can't get timing set new distributor plugs
wires will start with the fuel line in a can
wont hook up to the tank good fuel in tank I
did tdc rotor pointing at#1 cyldr  after it
cranked the first time and died it won't fire
and loads up the cylinders with fuel have to
let them air out timing chain marks line up
but rotor pointing at the#3 cylinder im

Move the distributor to point at one, use a long standard screw driver to rotate the oil pump drive gear to allow this. Or just rotate your plug wires around

Buy a service manual that covers the '85 CK 10 read the engine section on basic timing and distributor alignment etc..read it a few times...follow the produce it might take you a more than one attempt but you will get it! Regards Oh, once you "understand" this it can be done 10-15 minutes max

Chris Nettles

I've never been so frustrated with a motor like I am with this one so let's see if I got this right I have motor on compression stroke the rotor is pointing at 10o'clock pull the distributor rotate the engine one full revaluation drop the distributor in with rotor pointing at#1 cylinder or do I pull the distributor rotate the rotor 180 and drop it back in I've done both ways and still not working will fire once and then just spin over like it's out of gas everything is fireing plugs distributor I pulled the waterpump and timing cover the chain had a little bit of slack mabe 1/6thnth not over 1/8 movement before rotor moved marks lined up dot to dot rotated the engine both cam n crank 12 o'clock drop the distributor in fired once with distributor rotated as far as I could go moved the wires forward new#1tower nothing don't know what to do been stuck in Wal-Marts parking lot more than 7and a half weeks please someone anyone I need help

Let me make this as simple as I can for you. Put the motor at tdc. Look where the rotor is pointing, put number 1 there. Remember firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. If it doesn't fire then pull the distributor out and put it back in 180 degrees from where it was. Do not rotate the motor when the distributor is out and make sure it sits flush, if it doesn't then it hasn't seated with the oil pump drive gear at the bottom. Do that and it will run unless you have another problem