I have a 1984 chevy k10 with a 305. I just bought a newly reman quadrajet 4bbl. Idles rough when put into gear.

5

Asked by Dec 30, 2016 at 11:53 AM about the 1984 Chevrolet C/K 10 Scottsdale Standard Cab LB 4WD

So I put this reman quadrajet 4bbl on my 305. I can get it to idle good in park
but as soon as it goes in gear, it runs rough. So I adjusted the fast idle up to
compensate but now when i cut the truck off, it will diesel on me. I checked my
vacuum hoses and they are good and connected correctly. What am i missing
here?

250,805

Did you adjust the air flow mixture?...http://ericpetersautos.com/forum/showthread.php?6617- Some-useful-Quadrajet-tuning-tips

50,735

Who rebuilt your Quadrajet? They are tricky to work on and not the greatest carb. I would have got a replacement such as Edelbrock or similar.

5

I bought a reman from national carburetor. I have been fiddling with the fuel air mixture some. I think I am going to pick up a vacuum gage and give it another go tonight.

69,305

Lightly seat both air/fuel mixture screws. Now turn each one out 4 complete turns. Start the engine and let it warm up. If automatic transmission set the parking brake and put the transmission in drive. Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance hose at the distributor, if equipped. Set the curb idle at 650 RPMs. Now begin turning the idle mixture screws in, one quarter of a turn each equally until the RPMs drop to 600. That should do it. Reconnect the vacuum advance hose as well. If you have a manual transmission the procedure is the same except you keep the transmission in neutral and adjust the curb idle speed to 950 RPMs and adjust it down to 900 RPMs. For the fast idle. Shut off the engine. Open the throttle and close the choke plate. Release the throttle (the choke plate will open, but that's ok). Start the engine and leave the transmission in park (automatic) or neutral (manual). Adjust the fast idle screw on the passenger's side of the carburetor near the choke housing to 1500 RPMs. Tap the accelerator pedal to kick it back down to curb idle before shutting off the engine. You should be all set. The emissions decal should have this information on it as well, if it's still on the fan shroud. HTH. -Jim