My car runs off with me.

25

Asked by Mar 13, 2011 at 04:42 AM about the 1994 Hyundai Excel 2 Dr STD Hatchback

Sometimes (not very often) my car's rpm will increase of it's own accord. When this happens I shift her into Neutral (she's an automatic) and try to "blip" the throttle. Sometimes this works, sometimes it dosn't. Sometimes the revs drop to normal of their own volition, sometimes they don't. I have replaced the TPS and there are no computer codes logged. This "running off on her own" is dangerous. I saved her from a wreckers yard 7 months ago. Compression test is fine, plugs and leads replaced with new. Possible "slight" vacuum leak as I do get a very high-pitched whistle from her engine on deceleration but not sure on that one. Can anyone help as to why she runs off on her own? Michelle.

25

It's not the fuel-pressure regulator as i just replaced this. The car runs better but the problem remains and is getting dangerous as she's trying to hit cars stopped in front of her at traffic lights. As I said: the revs will shoot up to 2000rpm all at once whilst I am at the lights and will stay there for around 15 to 20 seconds before they suddenly drop back to normal. The Engine Management Computer?