Car would not crank.

Asked by Feb 11, 2014 at 08:41 AM about the 1999 Honda Civic Coupe EX

I have a 99 civic ex coupe, and yesterday my car wouldn't start. Out of the blue. While I attempted to crank it, it made a whine like a belt running on a fixed pulley, but all belts were rotating as normal. The noise seemed to come from the front left engine near or below the distributor cap.

I towed the car to a shop, and they thought it to be the timing belt had slipped, and it is out of sync now. Bent valves, and springs...but it wasn't the timing. Now this morning, the car started no problem at the shop, and they don't know what to do or fix, seeing how the car is running.

No codes in the computer.

1,135

when your belts get old they squeal and the only belts that would squeal are your power steering belt and your alternator belt does it get worse when you turn or does the sound stay the same? the quick fix is if you take some sidewalk chalk and have the car running and rub it on the contact side of the belt. timing belts wont ever make a squealing sound as they have teeth.