Shocks or Struts

Asked by Mar 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM about the 2001 Ford Focus SE

I have a quick question about this topic. I recently got front struts put on both sides this was done a little over a year ago. My problem now is are there shocks also in the front or are they in the rear end of the car. I'm having this squeaking sound when I sit in the car or hit a bump or turn it's squeaky all of this is coming from my front end drivers side. Does anyone know what can be causing that. Previous work that has been done inner tie rod replaced,front strut mount replaced,front strut spring perch replaced,eng. mount replaced.
In the process of trying to find a decent mechanic in my area that won't try to rip me off for work not needed at this point.

1,275

sounds like a ball joint to me,or possibly a strut bearing, it doesn't have shocks in the front, only the rear either one should be relatively cheap to replace

115

sounds like something has no greese left, dryed up... like a ball joint or a tie rod if they get dry they will squeak when you turn the wheel or like you said sit in your car and change the ride hieght... hope that helps... and another thing if it squeaks it won't feel loose if your looking for play in the front end...

65

"Shocks" are correctly called spring dampers. Struts are found on the front of most Macpherson Strut equipped cars such as ours. The strut has a damper unit and a mounting plate for the spring in one unit.The rear suspension has a separate spring and damper setup. Did the sound appear after everything was replaced or was it there before? Is the ride and handling bad or same as before? Check the ride height with a tape measure from the fender to the center of the wheel. It should be the same on either side, left front = right front. If not, then you have a broken spring. It's possible that suspension components were not tightened with the car lowered (off the jack) and the tires on the ground. Also check the swaybar end links. They usually go bad. However they usually make a popping sound when turning or driving down a bumpy road. Ford has redeisigned them 3 times. In the US, a company called Moog make greasable ones that are cheaper than the stealerships.