I have a 2015 Subaru Impreza hatchback. It feels very light on the highway. I've not found any reviews of how safe it is for highway driving in winter windy conditions.

Asked by Nov 10, 2015 at 09:25 PM about the 2015 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Hatchback

41,115

Subaru's do very well in snow and wet conditions. That is why they are so popular in snow country. They also have an excellent safety record. If you like a bigger car then get a Forester or an Outback but be wary of the oil consumption issue.

Best Answer
15,735

eisus- question, have you had any oil consumption problems with your 2015 Subaru Imprezza, and do you have the CVT transmission?

15,735

eisus- consider these statistics, all have CVT transmissions, 2015 Imprezza - 2,955 pounds, 2015 Forester, 3,296 pounds, 2015 Legacy, Limited, Four - 3,468 pounds, 2015 Legacy Limited, Six , 3,662 pounds, 2015 Outback Limited, Four, 3,593 pounds, 2015 Outback Limited, Six, 3,800 pounds, Yes, there's a percentage of cars , most of which are manual- transmission Forester models that have some abnormal oil consumption and Subaru will do a oil-consumption test. I have not heard of any 3.6 H6 engines with any oil consumption problems. If you really wanted a heavier vehicle, it would have been more prudent to have done the research on this before you purchased the car. The Subaru Outback has been written up in many articles and reviewed by generally thought of as the number one car in the snow. I can tell you that I have been in very windy conditions and have found the car to be very stable on the road. My advice to you at this point would be to slow down if you're encountering high winds that might be destabilizing. Good luck.

41,115

Six cylinder Subaru's are in the top 30 of oil burners. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/30-new-cars-that-burn-way- too-much-oil.html/?a=viewall

15,735

Full_of_Regrets- thanks for this, looks like the Subaru Outback with the 2.5 Four is conspicuously ABSENT FROM THIS LIST, SEE PICTURE ATTACHED,

15,735

Sorry, I stand corrected on the H6, based on the information you provided. Someone else posted a message about no problems on the H6.

15,735

Please see this, http://oppositelock.kinja.com/subaru-tsb-for- excessive-oil-consumption-1600566355

15,735

Also, people do actually write anecdotes about the oil consumption. See this picture and comment.

75

Get yourself some snow tires and prepare to have the best winter car on the planet. Don't worry about the weight. Those heavy cars just have more momentum that carry them into the ditches. I have been driving Subarus for years in all conditions and it still puts a smile on my face every year when the nasty storms hit. I purposely go out and find the deep stuff. Tip: when you get that first good snowfall, go find yourself an EMPTY parking lot with no parking blocks and poles and learn how the vehicle handles and how you can play with weight transfer to really manage any understeer or oversteer. My Impreza WRX is currently over 255k miles. So stop with the regret and have some fun!!

Thank you for speaking in plain language, Jacoby. I have always driven a Subaru but never the hatchback model; the Impreza Sedan and Forester and the larger Sedan. So, i kind of knew what I was getting into. I chose the hatch back to downsize a bit more and get a new 2015 model ( I had a 2010). I didn't expect to feel light on the road. Everyone is assuring me it is a safe car in a crash, but I don't want to confirm that! I typically drive 100 to 110 K/Hr on the highway and stay away from big trucks. So, you really think the weight is not a factor on highways? I have been considering exchanging it for a heavier car as it is less than a week old, on a lease. A big headache for sure, but a much larger heartache if I do have an accident due to poor road grip. Thanks for your opinion. I drive to the Laurentians all winter long.

15,735

eisus, well I basically agree with Jacoby in that these cars are excellent in the snow, articles abound about that subject. And, in any kind of inclement weather, snow or rain, you need to slow down. So, the comment about winding up in the ditch is ridiculous unless you're doing something really stupid. As for the windy conditions that you mentioned in your original question.... weight is a factor. It's just a matter of physics and the truth is an additional 900 pounds is almost 25 percent of the total weight of your car. So, in the case of the Subaru Outback with the H6 engine at 3,800 pounds, yes, it would be safer in high winds and an accident. BUT, if you drive carefully and prudently, this should not be a problem. Finally, I'm sure you posed this question, because you actually did feel a little lighter in this vehicle than your previous car, otherwise you would not have brought this up. Enjoy your car and be careful. Next time, you can consider a larger vehicle if that suits you. Finally, rest assured that Subaru's are good cars, albeit, some naysayers on the forum. See this web link. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/5-car-brands-to-buy- and-5-to-avoid-from-consumer-reports.html/? utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaig n=zergnet_532142

3,300

You're indeed just fine. Just remember to not overdrive your brakes nor tires. AWD only exists when accelerating. Weight does NOT in itself bear on safety as much as PRESSURE on slippery surfaces and the adhesive quality of the tire's surface. For ice and light snow what's critical is to have rubber who's viscosity is low at low temperatures. THAT's why snow tires stick better under 40F. Aggressive TREAD pattern further helps, but only in moderate or deep snow, as the contact patch is smaller than a more closed tread pattern. So if you're fearful of your new Imp in winter, the absolute safest recourse is to get a dedicated winter tire: a high performance one that doesn't compromise highway handling too much, or a more open tread that will be loud but work better in deep stuff. Going back to pressure, you should note that a NARROWER tread will bite through snow better too. If you have OE 205/50-17 all-seasons, and at 35F/33R psi it's too sketchy for ya get some cheap 16" rims and 195/55-16 snows. That's about as simple as I can make it typing 20 wpm. Lastly, weight isn't an issue with the Imp also because it has a lower CoG than the wind-sensitive taller Forester. The wonky new Outback is in between the two because it at least has a wider and longer wheelbase to flop around on. The safest is actually the low and wide Legacy Sedan, followed by the Imps. By comparison Foresters are kites and newer OBs vomitoria.

15,735

TheSubaruGuruBoston, I agree with all your comments in the snow, but, in windy conditions or in the case of an accident with another car, I respectfully disagree with you. Please read this from the Institute for Highway Safety, see this picture,