brake lights on 1971 superbeetle aren't working

Asked by Dec 22, 2015 at 08:25 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle 1303

The driver's side brake light was working, so I took apart the other one to change the bulb, but couldn't fix it because I got the wrong bulb. Now the driver's side brake light isn't working either, but I didn't do anything to it! I'm getting the right bulb tomorrow, but why would the driver's side brake light stop working, and what should I be looking at?

I just got this car two days ago, and it's the first time I've even had a project car, so I have a lot to learn, and I really appreciate the help!

140

VWs are "special" in that if a fuse or bulb is out, other weird things may happen until it is fixed. The car uses the body as a ground so you must make sure all connections (both mechanical and electrical) are clean and secure. Clean the corrosion off the bulb AND socket, make sure the socket is making a good electrical connection with the taillight fixture. I'd bet this will resolve your problem.

Thanks so much for your help. I cleaned the sockets, changed all the bulbs, and replaced the fuses, but the brake lights still aren't working. All the other ones are though. Might be time to take her to a pro, I can't figure out what to do next.