I have a 98GMC Jimmy

Asked by Feb 20, 2016 at 04:03 AM about the 1998 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLE SUV

I need to take the oil pump out but I'm having a
hard time doing it people are saying that I need to
remove the engine and people are saying I can
remove the transmissionwhich way would be best
it's a 4.3 v6can you please help me I remove the oil
pan freely but it seems that is stuck against the
transmission do you have other way around there
help

how can I take a oil pan off having difficult time it a 1998 gov jimmy

73,095

You can do this with the engine in the vehicle, but you will still need some way to lift the motor up to get the oil pan off. Start by taking the distributor cap off as it would hit the firewall. Undo the 2 motor mount bolts, one on each side. Disconnect the exhaust from the manifolds. If there is two supports running down to the inspection cover unbolt from bottom and move off to the side. The inspection cover has to come off. Just kinda move the trany lines off to the side also. And it is easier to take off the oil filter adapter, Just 2 bolts. Find secure spots to bolt on the chain to the front of the engine as too be able to lift as evenly as possible. Cherry picker works best. Jack it up as high as you can get it, watching the back of the engine, trany filler tube and such against the firewall. Should then be able to drop the oil pan. It is not fun getting it back in with a new gasket. Put some sealant in the corners by the timing cover and at the rear bearing cap. You can put some in the grooves there also.

73,095

Oh ya, you would have to take the top of the shroud off so the fan can clear.

what oil can go forward towards the front of the vehicle or backwards towards the rear end if I lose I can say I want to come out I'm going to do what you say it sounds easy thank you very much for your help

hello once again I did what you told me got the oil pump off with the and oil pump I notice a little drip of water could it be because I have the engine up at a 60 degree angle people are telling me that's not good now it got me scared I do not have money to fix another problem or get a new engine do you have any idea why it would leakplease help me on this thank you

73,095

CarGurus must be having problems yet, not seeing your replies, so e-mail me at ruohomaki.ron@hotmail.com So is it just water, or coolant, green and slippery to the touch? That would not be good. Need to determine were it is coming from. Was the vehicle blowing out a lot of white smoke from the exhaust?