Where would I order a new propane tank and how much would it cost? (this is the propane that the fridge and stove run off of)

Asked by Apr 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM about the 1988 GMC Vandura G2500

My van is a 1988 Vandura and in order to insure it, I have to have it safetied and the
guy at the shop says that the propane tank needs to be replaced (which I'm not
convinced that it does - he says it's rusty so he can hardly read the numbers). He's
quoting me $1500 for the propane tank including labour and that doesn't include all the
other work he says needs doing ($3100 worth in all). I tried to find the cost of the tanks
on-line but couldn't seem to find the right page. Any help you can give would be much
appreciated. Thank you!

105,355

Your best bet in this case is to go to a local propane dealer that is large enough to have a shop. They will be able to tell you if you need a new tank due to the age or if it only needs a refit and rectification.

There are new laws about propane tanks and the valves. The old ones can be turned on with nothing hooked up and propane can escape. It probably has to be upgraded to the new ones that have a valve that no gas can come out without it being hooked up. Try shopping here, the have 7.1 gallon tanks for $63 .. http://www.campingworld.com/category/propane-and-accessories/14

tennisshoes answer is better than mine, especially if you don't like on-line shopping

This guy would know