Is there another sensor on my 1992 GMC 5.7 that would make my temperature gauge not work. I have already changed the one on the front of the engine located near the thermostat.

55

Asked by Jan 05, 2012 at 08:35 PM about the 1992 GMC Vandura

In addition is there any way to check the stock gauge to see if it is working?

it has 2 sensors 1 to computer,1 to gauge,you replaced the one to gauge,that is telling you the gauge is not working,only fix is another cluster,u can change out the gauge,but you have to be carefull takeing yours apart.not hard to do,just a PITA.

55

I did notice that when I pulled the fuse for the gauges, oil, ammeter and of course the temperature gauge the temp gauge actually went up and registered like say 130 degrees. Why or how can this happen if the gauge is FUBAR?

30

yes, there is another sensor dedicated for the temperature gauge. It located inside the dog house on the driver side when looking at the motor (about 21 mm socket will do the job) I replaced mine over a year ago because the temperature gauge never moves and stays below 100 degrees. I have done both sensors to be on the safe side.

65

you should be able to get a reading of off the top radiator hose that would be close by using a temperature probe and wrapping a towel around it Test it on the bottom of the top hose. Sometimes that hose is only half full.or use infrared if you have it