Random chime

Asked by Jan 19, 2016 at 05:19 PM about the 2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I have a seemingly random tone that occurs while driving. The blind spot warning is a "beeb-beep". This is a single, lower, and more melodious "dong". It happens when I am driving at a constant 30-40 mph. There are no warning lights. I do not have the Mazda navigation system. I have heard it as much as 3-4 times during one day and other days not at all. I asked the dealership but they had no idea. I looked in the owner's manual and none of the conditions for which they describe warning sounds occurred. any ideas?

73,775

Nothing in the owners manual?

The manual describes several sounds but none of the causes for those are possible when I hear the sound.

73,775

Ideas, just the norm. Seat-belt, low fuel, maybe a loose gas cap, this sound is just a reminder that something is on, or going on. This is too new of a car to have history of problems for me to have learned. But this has to be something simple, and what gets me is that a dealer doesn't even know. There has to be some sort of warranty on it, I would let the dealer figure it out. Sorry.

90

Was looking for an answer myself. 2014 CX-5 with exactly the same condition (not annoying but curious as to what it is) Dealer doesn't know. My guess is something to do with their SCBS (smart city brake system) as my chime seems to show up more often while exiting the highway and entering an area where there are traffic lights. (SCBS activating??)

90

I believe I have found the answer to the random chime. While driving with the navigation on (though it doesn't have to be) I had my mysterious 3 chimes coming up to a intersection with a traffic light. While stopped at the red light, I noticed on the screen a flashing icon of a camera. I now believe that the car gives a warning of any traffic light intersections that have a video camera monitoring that location. Pretty cool, though I have to see how much time they give before getting to the intersection.

73,775

What will they think of next....lol

I have a 2015 Mazda 6 doing something similar. Did your radio sound level lower as well with these chimes? I am trying to figure it out as it just started happening about a month ago but have had the car for almost 2 years.

I have a 2014 CX5 - these random chimes started last week after my car was jump started. My radio sound lowers also with these chimes. Do not seem to be related to intersections or anything in particular. Dealer workshop is still trying to figure it out. Any ideas?

10

Same here! I have a 2015 CX5 and the 3 chimes sound at the very same locations around town. I asked Mazda service and they have no clue. The radio volume DOES lower when the chimes sound. As I said, the chimes sound at the very same locations all the time, I will keep an eye out for any similarities in the locations the next time I am in the area.

Similar issue here - 2016 CX-5 and the other day it just started dinging like when you start the car. Not the alerts you get from the camera, smart city braking, blind spot monitor, or anything like that. Just like when you leave a door open or don't fasten the seat belt. No idiot or warning lights are on. Nothing in the system apps show any warnings or maintenance due. Sometimes it dings for 3 times, then 4 then 7... sometimes it dings for like 2 minutes. No idea what is going on here.

The same thing happened to me for the first time yesterday twice about 5 minutes apart. Drove me crazy the whole way home, reading all the comments above, it's nit an intersection issue, I drive the same route everyday. but what I did nitice was the outside temp said 100, then 101, then 100 and the chimes again. I have a 2016 cx5.

We had that noise in our 2016 CX-5 too. It was after buying a gallon of milk, and putting it on the passenger seat. It must have been the seat belt warning chime. Put the gallon of milk on the floor, chiming gone.

I discovered that it was not my car at all. My Garman GPS chimes when I approach a school zone. The problem was too much technology for an old person. ;-)

I think GuruDTVN2 is on to something. Shortly after posing the question here a few weeks ago, on a haunch, I asked my wife if there was anything on the front passenger seat. She had a small, light bag on the seat. Normally there is a light to tell you that it senses weight on the seat but won't turn on the airbags because the seat belt is not on. I asked her to take anything off the passenger seat and buckle the passenger seatbelt. The ding never came back and has been gone for a few weeks now. My theory is that over a bump or something, the seat sensor was sensing the weight of the bag momentarily as enough to be a small person on the seat. It wasn't long enough to trigger the visual alert to show the seatbelt wasn't on, but the audio alert continues to ring for a bit and repeated small bumps may have kept triggering it - again, just not long enough to show a visual indicator. It's my theory anyway.

I have 2015 cx5. I bought it new and had not heard anything until I upgraded tomtom navigation system. I started hearing this 3 chimes at random times. I asked my dealer, they had no clue. It drove me crazy until I finally found an answer. It was a navigation system warning sound when approaching speed or red light cameras. Check link below for more info and how to set it or disable it. It's a great feature! I love my Mazda again! http://mazdanav.com/user_guides/navigation-reference-manual-english-us/speed- cameras/ I hope it ends your misery. Lol. Barbara