2014 Honda CR-V transmission drag ?

Asked by Nov 07, 2013 at 10:27 PM about the 2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD

My 2014 Honda CR-V  AWD seems to have what feels like the transmission dragging
in first gear. Is this normal?
When I  am driving on a smooth flat road, no hill I will bring the speed up to about 25
mph and take my foot off the gas to roll to a stop sign half a block ahead of me. At this
point I would guess that I am in either second or third gear. The trans feels like it
immediately shifts back down to first gear the moment I take my foot off the gas and I
lose speed and the vehicle feels like it  is dragging.  After about another 50 to 100 feet,
foot still off the gas I feel the trans up-shift to second and it begins to roll more freely
the rest of the way to the stop sign.  Why would it downshift to first and slow only to
then shift back to second by itself.  Is this normal? The Honda dealer tech who took a
ride with me said he feels it but he is not sure how this transmission is supposed to
operate and this may be normal.  This doesn't seem to make sense to me.  Any info?

this is a kind of new technology for the Honda....this is not a Subaru....seems to be "downshifting" for ya? this behavior is normal on a "sports car" where throttle position is keen and a part of the driving experience....this ain't a hydramatic or dyna-flo....perhaps you just are not used to this way of having to mind your foot position...perhaps this is not the car for you~

is this a CVT?......those act just like that~

There are NO "gears" this is where you gotta start getting used to where the CVT automatic decides to put you~

20,225

if that's normal I don't want to be! a speed sensor, drive pulley binding, another sensor sending wrong message? shop for a cvt tech that knows the workings

...but it's NEW jimmy, m'boy~

I think the 2014 year introduced a new CVT transmission. It may be just the CVT feel. For some reason a lot of sites are reporting no changes for the 2014 year, but I believe that is false. Wikipedia shows a change in North America to a new CVT transmission.

10

I have a 2015 Honda CRV with CVT transmission. My car does not drag. A friend of mine bought the same year Honda and has a dragging problem.. I test drove his car and he drove mine. His car drags as if it's operating in low gear or the brake is on. It almost stops itself when going downhill. There is a clear difference. My friend brought his car back to the dealer and they found nothing wrong but obviously there's something wrong with these vehicles and Honda should recall them.

A quick search by you goons would show that the 2014 CRV has a 5 speed automatic transmission...