why can I only see through half the windshield when headlights are on at night

Asked by Apr 06, 2014 at 09:49 AM about the 2014 Toyota Corolla LE Eco

headlights seem to only illuminate half the road....

12,795

For a 2014, I would take it back to the dealer. Possible headlight misalignment?

30

I have the same issue with my 2015 Corolla. The top part of the windshield seems is darker, then lowers down the windshield while driving. It's very distracting.

60

My father is having the same problem. Please report it to https://www- odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. My father believes it's due to the high intensity lights and strip they put on the light itself. When he goes down hill at night the windshield goes dark and is very scary to drive. Several others are having same issues but it's not being reported enough. He has a Toyota Corolla S 2015. Dealer was no help.

10

I am having an identical problem with my new 2016 Ford edge. Very Scarry. Took it back twice and the dealership and they adjusted the headlights each time, but this has not corrected the shadow problem. I do intend to complain direct to Ford since the dealership has no answers. Anyone else out there with a Ford edge that you are very weary to drive at night?

Our new Kia does the same thing, my sister in laws Toyota is worse. It is the high position of the lights, not the windshield itself.

20

I live in the forest near Yosemite and recently and to my GREAT regret bought a 2017 Rav4 and discovered the Windshield of Death. Yes, it's because of a sensor in the windshield and the dealer KNOWS IT because the dealer I bought mine from replaced the windshield with a normal one for $285 (I'm trying to collect from Toyota headquarters.) NO ONE I talked to knew anything about it, the salesmen are idiots and the service people don't want to bother about it. You can get a mobile glass guy (NOT Safelight, they were jerks), that's who ended up doing mine. Save your life and get rid of this "Safety feature." ALSO on the windshield is the thing that tells you when you're going out of your lane, so I guess it's a car for drunks? That will go when you replace the windshield, and good riddance. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't replace the windshield. Save yourself!

20

Don't get another windshield, it's not the windshield. I found out the hard way. There are codes that the dealership can put into the computer that runs the Safety Sense features. Don't listen to jerks who tell you it can't be fixed, they're incompetent and dishonest if they do. Worst car experience in 53 years of driving. Piercey Toyota in Milpitas CA is the worst dealership with incompetent uncaring staff. Buy a Honda.

20

Don't expect any help from the dealerships or the Toyota regional customer service people. They're there to give you the runaround until you just give up and live with any abomination they stick you with. I curse the day I bought my Rav4 and can't wait to sell it.

10

2017toyota rav4 3weeks old, thanks for all your imput ito have shadow 2/3of windshied Ihave something to go on with toyota. not safe .

60

Toyota never did anything to help my father with his windshield or lights or whatever is wrong when almost the entire windshield goes dark traveling at night. It only happens when going over a hill and right when you start down the hill the windshield goes dark. They tried everything and even took test drives and still no help. If he needs to use his car a night and gets into an accident I will sue Toyota. Still to this day he is not driving the car at night which is very unfortunate. Toyota knows about the problem that’s why they changed the lights on the new corollas yet don’t do any recalls for the lights that are messed up on the 2015. Not enough death or accidents I guess. I think that’s his year. So, instead they tell their customers go “blank” yourself. He will not ever ever ever buy a Toyota again and neither will I. I will also make sure to tell everyone I can about this issue and NOT to buy a Toyota because if they have issues they won’t help you. Every time we see the same corolla make and year we stop to ask them if they have problems too. One guy said he stocks his head out the window if he needs too. Really!? This is what we get for 20k I guess.

I only wished I knew about this before I bought my 2018 RAV4 LE AWD in November. I never dreamed of having to test drive a car at night. The Dealer adjusted the headlights which made it better but the dark half of the windshield on hilly roads cannot be fixed. I talked to my dealership and then Toyota Headquarters and they said they can't help me unless I want to spend $2,800 for them to replace the whole light assembly and ECU. Contacted my local garage who had a friend at a Toyota Dealership he wanted to talk to before doing anything and they knew of me and my issue and advised my local garage NOT to touch it or else I'll lose my warranty if anything electrical goes wrong and they find it's because I changed the headlights to an LED or HID. I'm stuck until at least the warranty runs out in 3 yrs. When I talk to other SUV owners of another manufacturer, they never heard of a blackened windshield on dark, rolling hills. Lucky me.

60

Everyone should keep reporting your experiences to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ *report it to the above website. *request a test drive at night from the dealer when it’s pitch black, with you in the car, so you can show them exactly what it’s doing. *in the form you should be able to give them an idea of what needs to happen. Maybe test the lights in pitch black conditions on hilly roads without using high beams, because we can’t always use them.

Thanks Jason. I already have plans to report it to NHTSA. I thought about a night test drive but after talking to the Service Manager, he already knew what I meant - said, "that's the way it is". Besides, they close at 5:00 p.m. before it gets dark. Testing the lights in black conditions is my main complaint. If I avoid rolling dark roads at night, I could get by but why should I? I might look into trading it in for a Mazda CX-5 - they already have LED's standard. Toyota RAV4 must be somehow unique in the half a windshield black out, though not sure. Even if I put LED's in, the black shaded windshield will not go away. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed in years that people have been complaining.

60

Yeah, they know there’s a problem for sure. My car problem is with a 2015 Corolla with LEDs and it’s doing it as well. So, LEDs probably won’t change anything. I do have a Honda Pilot and love it!!! Highly recommend to anyone looking for a great SUV. I’m sure the smaller version of the pilot, the Honda CRV is a great vehicle as well. Never had any issues with my Honda’s over the years. Well, good luck to you and I hope you find something better than Toyota’s. Take care.