How do I increase torque on a 2014 Ford Focus???

Asked by Jul 17, 2015 at 01:39 AM about the 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

16,435

Have you considered just trading this for a Subaru WRX STI? You've got a pretty new car and it might be less expensive replacing it for the car you really want vs. making a bunch of custom upgrades. Even if you were successful, the Focus does not have the tuned suspension for that much extra power and it might stress out the engine. You can find Subaru WRX STI cars on the secondary market. New, they are very expensive. Here's some specs to whet your appetite, http://www.edmunds.com/subaru/wrx/2015/st-200674084/?tab- id=specs-tab

60

Dont buy a subaru.... bad investment. Have you done any small upgrades, platinum plugs knn intake (maybe even cold air) bigger exhaust not fart can style just upgrade. Upgrade coil packs. Tiny stuff make a difference. Spend big bucks supercharge it.... but imagine you want small stuff not a huge upgrade.

16,435

Dustin, you know, cars are not investments. You must have had some negative experiences with a Subaru? There are legions of folks out there with cars that have been in service for years, so, why do you say that? No matter what Jose does, it doesn't address the suspension issues and engine tolerances that allows maximum performance-based driving. Remember, the Ford Focus, a good car, was really designed as an economy car and not intended to be a street racer. The WRX STI, on the other hand, was really a rally bred car and its structure and build was designed for this kind of driving. If you are just looking at price, of course you're going to spend more on the Subaru, it's a more expensive car. If, you're just interested in a small bump in power, fine, but, I wouldn't go too far, you'll likely damage the structural integrity of the Focus. Super charger?? I don't know about that. Don't forget you'll have to pass smog?

16,435

See this YouTube video, https://youtu.be/yG7Z0ZCDdjs

60

Depends on your state on smogs and emissions and go on my state (maine) do whatever you want must have breaks and tires and good safty parts. A subby is a decent investment they are long lasting but working on them is a different story yea some parts normal wear and tear is simplly easy on most cars, but start getting into the harder stuff subby multiples the complicity of it. Id much rather have a little focus st big lincoln town car or a lifted pickup. I have a grand marquis and its an animal in snow sleet slush rain anything. Awd is ONLY good for your driveway the road way makes 90% of drivers ungrateful of road conditions

16,435

OK, so, now I'm glad you acknowledge that a Subaru is a decent car with longevity. Just Google the Subaru high mileage club and you'll find a lot of people who have 200,000 to 300,000 miles and more on their cars. Are they bullet proof, absolutely not! They require a certain amount of maintenance like any car, and you're right, certain procedures are more difficult and expensive like head gaskets. Fortunately, this doesn't happen too often. What sets the Subaru apart from many other cars is the boxer engine and their patented AWD that they have been perfecting since 1972. Subaru has been a leader in this technology longer than any other manufacturer and have been winning awards for their cars and design. The boxer engine design is one of the smoothest power plants in use today. NO, I DON'T WORK FOR SUBARU, I'M JUST AN ENTHUSIASTIC OWNER AND LOVE MY CAR. Because of the engine design, there's no counterweight balance shafts or harmonic balancers in the engine and the reduction of weight and extra components make it run more smoothly. As far as AWD is concerned, most Subarus never get stuck in my snow or anywhere else. Check out the variety of you tube videos on the Internet. I live in California and the smog requirements here are very stringent. You can't just modify something and expect it to pass. So, it's a pretty big issue here. As for working on your own car, the days of the backyard mechanic are over. Cars today are like rolling computers and requires strong technical knowledge, skills, and equipment to diagnose and fix problems. The same goes for your 2014 Ford Focus ST. Unless you are specifically trained and have the tools to repair your car, it's just not going on happen. So, just purchasing some add on equipment or exhaust system upgrades is a shot in the dark. You may wind up upsetting the balance of how your car was designed to run and make things worse. So, proceed with caution. Again, the design and engine tolerances of the Subaru were factory built so it could withstand going from its 8.2 to 1 compression to 14 to 1 when the turbo kicks in. I'm not sure that this was taken into consideration when the Focus was designed.

60

The way cars run yes but when you go after the aftermarket world you dont go.above and beyond. The focus being a rally car kinda they have multiple models hi power and lower. The st put st exhaust (probably slightly bigger) you dont throw 5 in exhaust to later find out your burning your valves out. Usually most cars you can upgrade an inch in diameter in size. (My mercury came with 2in now has 2.5 with 3in exits) your intake every car now adays already has best for placement so ram air cold air dont matter, jist a higher brand knn. (Increases power) my mercury came stock with 235 im pushing closer to 275 now

16,435

Jose - I hope the money you spend on this results in what you're trying to achieve. I wouldn't do it, but, good luck.

16,435

Jose and Dustin, please read this, http://www.drivearabia.com/news/2015/07/19/first-drive-2015-subaru- wrx-sti-uae/

60

Still a car id never consider a friend, the sti is junker than junk. Uncomfortable and never as fast or good as consumers say. The 30mpg expect 20, 5.2 to a 100 provedln 6.4. I would be insulted being told buy a subby

16,435

Dustin, what kind of car do you drive? It appears you're all over the map with this, earlier you stated " A subby is a decent investment they are long lasting but working on them is a different story yea some parts normal wear and tear is simplly easy on most cars, but start getting into the harder stuff subby multiples the complicity of it." What's changed your mind?

16,435

As for the WRX STI and reviews, Car and Driver liked it, it does the quarter mile in 13.6 seconds. No, it's not a gas saver, no one ever claimed that . By the way, I own a 2010 Subaru Outback Limited, you think that's a junk car too? Not as fast as the WRX, but, it's a Subaru and lest you think these cars are garbage, just Google the Subaru high mileage club. You'll find legions of folks out there with cars between 200,000 and 300,000 miles, some even made it to 500,000 miles. That's "boxer engines" for you, they're not designed like other cars. I can see we're not going to agree here, so, we might as well agree to disagree on this point. Enjoy your favorite car, domestic or whatever. Here's the link to the article and by the way, US News awarded the Outback as the number two wagon. http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-subaru- wrx-sti-first-drive-review, http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars- trucks/Subaru_Outback/

60

They are decent cars for someone else to own, subby drivers are all the same best car in the world drive with their fog lights on blinding everyone drive like a holes and forget how to drive in the snow. And I drive a 2004 mercury grand marquis, 1999 ford taurus, 1993 f150, and a 1998 ford ranger, and I own a 2001 yamaha yzf6 witch is currently under deep work ahead of it. I am a mechanic and work on all cara and I can tell you a subby is the worst car to work on good motors if they last most subbys motors and trannys are sealed units just like jaguars a part goes well need a new motor unlike ford spon bearing rip into it change it. Doing anykind of labor to it sucks! They rot out like a lot of cars but being a unibody design like any others but the way subby designs theirs they dont take harsh weather salt and sand into effect making them at 10 years no deep cleaning rotted out

60

The ford focus is a very well designed car with very strong motors and trans comfortable seating one of the most dependable ca rs I may add

16,435

Enjoy your car and good luck.