why wont my crown vic turn over?

Asked by Feb 12, 2014 at 02:40 PM about the 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

My crown vic police interceptor was running just fine. I stopped at an atm, turned it off,
got back in and attempted to turn it back on. it would turn over and make a low
sputtering sound. I would try to give it some gas and it would immediately die. I had it
towed and tried to start it today and you can only hear the starter going now, it wont
even do the low sputter anymore. The battery and terminals are all good. I want to say
it has something to do with the fuel filter but i would like any input from someone else
please and thank you.

75

im having the same prob with y 1984

24,995

It's rarely the fuel filter and more likely the fuel pump. Put a gauge on it and see. Most people assume that if they have pressure in the lines it must be ok - it must have a minimum of 40 PSI to run properly - that's a lot. Hang on to your wallet. If you're a DIY mechanic you'll have your hands full changing the Fuel Pump on the ground. You'll also need the fuel line disconnect tool and a good, tall set of jack stands to pick the car up and let the rear axle hang. There are 2 electrical connectors, the one directly above the tank can be accessed through the trunk but the other is a bear to thread properly. Just make sure to wire tie it out of harm's way. Unfortunately, you're looking at $300 - $500 at a reputable shop. I recommend a shop that displays an ASE Certified Technician's placard.