caprice classic 88, battery ok, but starter not working, where is its fuse

Asked by Dec 13, 2014 at 06:42 AM about the 1988 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

Starting problem, batter OK, but while starting no sound, seems starter fuse to replace,
but I don't know its location

clean connections to a shine at the battery. reinstall the cables on the battery, try it. corroded appearance could mean take them apart, first the bolt comes out, then the cover slides off. dip in baking soda and clean with wire brush. Check for supplied power at the starter. Check the small wire for power while a helper attempts to crank. Look at the fuse links. one may have gone soft. Your power distribution box under the hood can have fuses and yours being Gm, there can be circuit taps and protections at the firewall. some fuses have been put there on some models. If you have 12v at the B+ cable and 12v at the start enable wire during crank and no blown fuse links, tap the starter with a hammer handle or similar non conductive tool. if still, when attempting to crank with adequate volts and connections at both ends? Bench test the starter. You could have a start solenoid issue. Write back soon or call AAA if you cannot get under it. A shop would have access when lifting the vehicle. safely. autozone offers schematics online. you can trace where you should have power, when, and verify it with a 12v test light. They are like 4 bucks at the hardware or parts store. A dvom can be had real inexpensive for basic tests at harbor freight. Haynes manuals borrow free at the library or sell for like 25 at the parts store. Many cars, many years, many changes. Gm has always used fuse links and had this kind of issue develop.

I looked at your type of GM car and you have the standard RWD nothin burger V8 and pretty simple stuff. I do not believe fuses are separate and specific for that generation. The newer cars have a power distribution box. Your tests focused at the battery, cables and starter can lead to neutral safety and ignition switches if it has not been found to be the starter solenoid at fault. Your start enable wire must have power on crank and your grounds must be intact. Your circuit protections there are going to be fuse links.

Best Answer

If your starter seems to be dead but the engine started last time with no problem, the most likely cause is that the starter brushes are worn. Simply tap starter with a hammer or something heavy while another person turns the key to start engine. You will be surprised at how quickly the engine roars back to life. You NEED to replace or rebuild your worn starter. This happened to my Chevrolet and I installed a rebuilt starter and life goes on. Hope this helps.