boot on front driveshaft of 1991 dodge caravan Le AWD

Asked by Oct 25, 2008 at 12:55 PM about the 1991 Dodge Caravan 3 Dr LE AWD Passenger Van

can't seem to find a boot or a used replacement shaft (front).Can you help?

75

all the autoparts stores around you don't have anything and can't get one? Try Napa, they are usually pretty good getting parts. If not then a junk yard is your only hope.

You WILL NOT FIND any parts for this part, beleive me Ive tried The shaft is made in france, the logo suggests a company named GSG or something The shafts are available NEW from mopar for $800 a piece

I too can not find a boot. But as the other poster said they are made in france, available new (special order) from Dodge. The boot is actually put on during assembly in a way that makes it impossible to replace unless you send it to the factory. HERE IS WHAT I DID... First I tried an aftermarket CV boot kit that was close to the right size but since the drive shaft spins 3X the rpm of an axle..the boot flew apart in hours..Second try..I removed the shaft and carefully drilled a small hole in the center of the most forward end cap. go slow to keep metal shavings out. Then Once or twice a year (oil changes?) I drop the shaft and using a grease gun fill the hole with grease untill clean grease comes out the other side. I then wipe ALL the excess grease off that I can..If you don't it just flies off all over your catalytic converter and the belly of the vehicle. Then replace the shaft. 1. make hole 2. flush with grease 3. wipe out ALL the grease you can (enough stays inside to protect) I've done it for 7 years now and have 106,000 miles on it in a snow state. Bearing is still tight.

As for the hole where the grease goes in...use a needle fitting on grease gun (keeps the hole small) or use a standard fitting..Remove fitting before you put back drive shaft..the hole will be fine/protected. Dropping the drive shaft sounds hard but it really takes me 15 minutes to drop,flush and replace...I'm not a pro either. Centrifugal force and the fact that the bad boot faces the rear of vehicle keeps the dirt out well enough that an occasional flush like I described seems to be enough.

200

Try rockauto.com, I'm posting a link to the 91 G'C"van drivetrain page, just to be posting a link you might could use. Don't know if it'll help, but I've bought hard to find stuff for my 94 when no one else could find it. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1308697,pgname,Drivetrain