1989 Mercedes Benz 560SEL won't start.

5

Asked by Feb 08, 2015 at 12:43 PM about the 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560-Class 560SEL Sedan

I have a 1989 560SEL and it won't start. I drove it maybe three miles up the road and it
just died. The radio shut off and then the entire car went. There was no shaking or
shuddering, it just shut off and now it won't start back up. We tried jumping it off, but
all it would do was click when turned over. There's absolutely no power. No
lights...nothing. It had to be towed home. Now it doesn't even click when turned over.
I'm not a car person and I have no idea where to even start. Any ideas?

11,160

sounds like your battery and or alternator went bad. check all your connections especially the ground connection to the block, then try to jump start. if the ground was bad and you get it started, fully charge the battery and try to start. also, when the battery is fully charged have it load tested. some auto part stores will do this free. if you charge the battery and it starts, have the alternator tested. with the engine running you should have between 13.5 and 14.5 volts at the battery cables.

1,565

I would have said it was the fuel pump except the radio also went out - which leads to an electrical issue. Have the charging system and battery diagnosed. First check whether your cable terminals are TIGHT on the battery - if they become loose the car doesn't charge regardless.