Nedding Advice about my 93 dodge stealth es dohc

30

Asked by Jan 04, 2014 at 01:14 AM about the 1993 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr ES Hatchback

Hi so i just noticed the other day my timing belt is cracking and ware on the belt is pretty severe the width of the belt is getting thinner obviously i need to replace it so i have put the car away till then, What i wanted to know was how hard is it to replace the belt myself?? do i need new pulleys? causue i have been seeing lots of kits for sale online, or can i simply just replace the belt? also is there anything else i need to replace like maybe the drive belt it just looks like its getting old, please help me with these questions, thanks!

30

I noticed the belt issue after i had been in the car and drove about 25 miles the car didnt seem to have the power that i was use to it having, i would like to save the labor cost and do the exchange myself i just need to know whats involved in doing it or if its best to take to a mechanic?

107,615

Its not all that hard just a very critical area. If installed wrong you will do serious damage to your engine. (Bend valves) I advise to either study up on how to do it first or have a mech do it. Replace all the idler pullies and the water pump too while you are doing the belt. Use caution buying cheap parts on line for you car. This is a very critical area and don't need cheap parts failing on you. Do not drive or crank it in the shape it in now.

5,965

on top of what dandyoun stated, if your car car has a 120k on it you need to do the oil pump as well, if that fails you will spin a bearing, also do not attempt to jack the car or engine up by the oil pan as you will dent it and again cause a spun bearing,,, my advice is to just have a shop do it if your not mechanically inclined, there is a small margin of error in getting the timing right, and again as stated you will bend valves, what area are you located in I might be able to recommend a good shop in your area that specializes in these cars

30

Thanks dandyoun & Daniel, Ya Dan my mechanic skills go as far as studying the issue before i attempt to fix it, however if there is a small margin of error then i will have a mech do it, I feel lucky enough to have caught the issue when i did, I live in Northglenn CO if you know how to find a good shop that would be great, i spoke with a mobile mechanic earlier who quoted me 350 for the labor is that pretty standard?, i found several kits online The brand is Continental (Contitech) at Parts Geek ive never had issues with their parts however my engine is a mitsubishi 3.0 v6 DOHC and the kits are showing for the SOHC model, would that be ok? I assume that it wouldnt be compatible for this type of fix just curious though, and if you know a better place for the parts please let me know

30

And to add yes the engine does have roughly 120k on it

107,615

Sohc parts wont work. I have been burnt before buying parts on line so I buy all my parts from auto zone now. They are more expensive but have not had the first issue with them. Make sure you do the water pump too and as Daniel stated it would be a good time to do the oil pump. I failed to replace my oil pump when I should have and it cost me a spun rod bearing. Very costly mistake on my part. Could have only cost a couple hundred to put a new one on but with the spun bearing it cost me a new motor instead. $350 not a bad labor price for timing belt and water pump replacement. I would make sure that they are familiar with these engines tho.

5,965

ill drop the links for the kits,, you should only use oem parts by the way,, and that contiential kit is junk

30

Cool i appreciate it and i'll stay away from the continental kit

5,965

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=79 also check out ninja performance