Dodge Stealth '93 es

10

Asked by Oct 01, 2013 at 12:27 PM about the 1993 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr ES Hatchback

I hope someone can help.  I've got a 1993 stealth es, manual trans.  About 175k miles,
recently had new water pump, timing belt, harmonic balancer and new spark plugs put in.
Over $800.  Car was running great for a while. Suddenly I get in the car to go to the store
and it's like a different car?? Sounds like its running on 3 cylinders.  It starts perfectly but
you can hear its missing or skipping.  I took it back to the shop, they double checked
everything and could not come up with anything. Mechanic said he didn't have the right
computer diagnostics for my car to check anything else.  I'm still driving daily but its
frustrating.  I have to downshift when stopping or car will cut off (then I just pop the clutch
and crank it back up). If I down shift car will stay running, but sputters...
any ideas?? Please ?? thanks    JJ

6,015

sounds like it might be outta time

Best Answer
10

thanks, I took the cover off. How does this look? I see the white markings are not where they should be... do they always stop at the same place? Also the belt seems loose to me, I could pull if off the first wheel if I tried. thanks for responding - JJ

6,015

should look like this http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/asemaster327/2009-04-07_042457_04-07-2009_002738.jpg

6,015

that's for the cam timing this next link Is for the ignition timing http://www.stealth316.com/2-ignition-timing.htm

6,015

heres another one (all four should be like the 2 you see here) http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa298/chamberlain_1990/2012-02-15144405.jpg

6,015

There are also marks on the top of the valve cover you can double check with. They line up with slots on the back of the gears

10

Daniel, thank you so much man. I sent the mechanic the same pic I posted here showing where the markings are lined up, he told me that was where they were when he started. I paid him over $800!! After sending him the pic he told me to come by and he'd take a look at it. I'll be printing out these pics for him as well. I just want him to fix it and I'll be done with him. I'm not mechanically inclined so I really don't want to attempt this myself. From what I've read this isn't the easiest thing to do, however if needed I'll take to another mechanic to straighten out. Thanks again

6,015

well be aware that if its off by very much your more than likely going to have bent valves so be aware of that,, if It does turn out that its out of time id be doing a compression test, don't let the original mechanic off without some compensation for damages and the bill for any work that comes from fixing his mistakes, including the compression test for that matter

10

I'm taking it back to the original mechanic tomorrow after work (its the earliest I could get it there). I've been driving it like this for 3 weeks, doesn't seem to be getting worse but still hard to drive. If I ask him to do a compression test do I need to be there to see or can he print out results? Is a compression test hard to do? Are bent valves hard to replace? thanks

6,015

no print out he can do all it is basically a gauge that threads into the spark plug hold and you turn the engine over and it reads how much compression the engine has, heres a pic of one http://www.mopedarmy.com/mediawiki/images/3/32/Compression_Tester.jpg

6,015

a leak down test would also be a good idea as well though what that does is tests how long the cylinder actually holds the compression

6,015

heres a pretty good link on the differences between the leak down and the compression tests http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/engine/ques057_1.html

6,015

when you took this to him were you doing the 60k maintenance ? if so you should of got new tensioners idler pulley idler pulley bolt, an oil pump if not done on the 120k maintenance in addition to what you already did do, I think there's some other things im not thinking of but that's the jist of it, I can get you a full list if you want though,

10

Hey Daniel, Just got my car back from the mechanic a few hours ago. AFter taking the pics you sent to the mechanic and showing him how the timing was off he finally engaged the situation and told me he could take care of it that his work was still under warranty. He got it lined up correctly and stated he thinks he did not put the harmonic balancer in the right spot and that may have slipped. Nevertheless, I got it back, seems to be running good thank God! In the mean time I found a mechanic that specializes in these cars and actually owned one for years, so I'm going to take it to him next week for a once over. thanks again

6,015

nice !!!! glad to hear the good news, so it was outta time then?

10

Yes it was. The mechanic said he had never seen one jump outta time like that, of course he's also likely never worked on a stealth/3000gt, these cars are unique. thanks again - JJ

6,015

you should of got a new * OEM Timing Belt Hydraulic Tensioner * OEM Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley * OEM Timing Belt Idler Pulley

6,015

you should of got a new * OEM Timing Belt Hydraulic Tensioner * OEM Timing Belt Tensioner Pulley * OEM Timing Belt Idler Pulley and tensioner pulley bolt (yes the bolt they fail and tend to take out engines, I see it happen all the time, not to mention the oil pump if it wasn't done on the last 60k maintenance,

10

I will hope for the best at this point, but if something goes its going to a different mechanic and I'll give him your list to look over. FYI the reason for the work in the first place was the water pump died and needed to be replaced. I'm at 175k miles, had the car for a lil over a year. He also replaced the power steering/alternator belts. I'll hope for the best I really like the car.

6,015

so hows the car doing? you get it all straigtened out and running good?

10

Yes, its running great. Although I was driving the car for over 2 weeks while the timing was off, fortunately it was only off a little and didn't damage the pistons or anything (at least it does not seem like it). I thank God every time it cranks up and runs normal. If something does go wrong again I will take it to a mechanic that knows these cars. thank again Daniel, -JJ

6,015

most excellent,,, im very happy for ya, glad I could help ya get It resolved, hate to see these cars go to the junk yard or what ever because they break down or spin a bearing or jump time or whatever,, speaking of spun bearings , like I mentioned before your gonna want to get that oil pump changed out before long if you don't know how long its been since that's been changed since its a very over looked thing and is a common cause of spun bearings, also wouldn't hurt a bit to get the bearings checked out and make sure their all good as well since there is a good amount of miles on it also keep an eye on the tensioners if you didn't get those replaced,, anyways hope you good luck with the car hope she runs forever for ya ,,,, peace man

15

Hi Daniel, are you still out there?

6,015

yepp

Did you have the coils replaced had a similar problem and similar replacement of parts as your list, however also had the coils replaced and night and day now. She's got her groove back!