My 89 festiva is carburated idles fine its,starves for gas,when i get into fourth gear changed fuel pump gas filter wonder if neddle valve is stopped up

Asked by Feb 02, 2015 at 08:42 PM about the 1989 Ford Festiva L

Float messed up change plug wires rotor
button i think its the needle valve or float
messed up any ideas on what it could be

7,045

I'll post this on the www.fordfestiva.com facebook group but I don't know that you'll get any help. I'm not going to guess on your issue. If you don't hear anything in a day or two, check out the actual festiva forum, register and ask for help. It is an awesome forum with thousands of members.

Yes. Join the forum! FordFestiva.com. Your issue sounds like what sends a lot of carb'd Festys to the junkyard. The issue and fix I am about to describe has happened to me and several other carb'd Festy owners. On carb Festys there is a short 4 inch rubber fuel line that is down at the bottom of the firewall. It connects to the metal fuel line that comes from the gas tank, ends at the firewall, where the rubber fuel line then connects to it, and goes to the fuel filter mounted on the firewall. This short rubber fuel line has to make a sharp bend to reach the filter. Over time, this rubber fuel line gets soft, as since the fuel pump is mechanical, and on the engine, it draws fuel from the tank. This causes a vacuum and the old, soft rubber fuel line will collapse, cutting off the fuel flow. Easy check! Replace that fuel line with a NEW longer piece of fuel line, about 12 inches long, so it doesn't have to make that shapr bend, and i'll bet your issue goes away! Good Luck.