How to stop engine knock

Asked by Sep 27, 2012 at 05:17 PM about the 1988 Ford Festiva LX

6,855

Take out the drain plug, drain the oil, and run a garden hose through the engine for about ten minutes with the engine running -- JUST JOKING!! DO NOT DO THIS! I have had cars that knocked before and I've found that running thick oil like 20W-40 and an entire quart of a product called Marvel Mystery Oil -- That stuff works GREAT! I even put it in my gas to clean my injectors! My Mercury has a small tick (I think its a crank bearing) and as soon as I pout Marvel in, it stops! Marvel is red and thin so depending on how bad the knock is, you might want to use thicker or thinner oil. Good luck!

Thanks I've tried that it'll not when u crack it then stop knocking if I leave it in a certain gear to long it starts kncoking again and as soon ax I shift it it will stop again Idk what's causing it

195

Stick Shift??? Might be the clutch throw out barring. If it stops while pressing the gas, then starts as you steddy the pettle....Crankshaft.