Picked up a 1983 Porsche 928 S . . . . Been sitting outside for the last 5 years Car will not start.

Asked by Oct 20, 2013 at 05:42 PM about the 1983 Porsche 928 S Hatchback

Replaced wires that were bad at the fuse panel.   
Car will not start.  Brake PR is lighted up and just trying to see if I can jumper to try and start to see if I want to invest the money into the car ?

216,815

Did you drain the gas tank and clean the fuel system?

216,815

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130717014155AABSzrE

24,575

Hmm? A 1983 Porsche that has been sitting outside (presumably not running) for the last 5 years. That fact alone is distressing as I've seen many out of commission 924's, 944's, and some 928's sitting in driveways and at service stations over the years. I hope you didn't pay too much for it....BUT it is a nice looking car, so I would get a mechanic to give her a look see and determine the overall cost to get her road worthy again and base your final decision on that. Best of luck to you!

Racer_X . . . . . . Only cost so far is some new fuses and a Uhaul car tower . . . . . Anyway. Father In Law is a mechanic and it is definitely road worthy. Needs some TLC. Issue is Father In Law has minimal expierence with Porsche . . . . Would like to try to get started. Then see if worth the rest. Here is the history. Like you said been sitting outside the last 5 years . . . . not ran. Owner did run the gas out of the unit . . . . . . . At the fuse panel we found a bunch of wires out chewed up. Spent quite a bit of time and replaced the wiring, at that time we replaced all the fuses and relays . . . . . Cleaned up the grounds behind the ground panel and working on the rest as well. Quite a bit of work. Brakes work but we need to completely overhaul and that is not going to be low cost. Fuel pump humms when we turn the key. We have removed the spark plugs and fog the pistons with oil and put the spark plugs back. The issue we have is the Central Trouble Light is activated. I am guessing from what I have read it is due to the Brake system/pressure. I would ke to try and see if I can get the car started and according to the owner it should fire up as that is all he did for the winter. Old owner just drove and did little maintenance except what was needed. Anyway that is what I am trying to figure out and jumper the system to state pressure is OK and see if I could fire this baby and see if she will run. It is a big project for my first ever tinkering qith a car . . . . . my son and I are having quite a bit of fun so far and then hopefully let him have it for a first car . . . . . . Any guidance would be great . . . . . . just trying to do it by ourselves to help in the overall $$$$ of putting out. Eventually I know it will cost some $$$$ but want to make sure the engine is good before headed down for an adventure of repairs . . . . .

1,530

These cars, without a doubt, have the most complicated wiring harnesses, they are a nightmare. Any corrosion at one site more than likely has it somewhere else, especially after 5 years sitting. Don't forget that the corrosion occurs inside the car also, especially up under the dash. I think you'll need a real good 928 specialist to sort it out. Best of luck.