1988 thunderbird speedometer is dim

Asked by May 08, 2013 at 01:38 PM about the 1988 Ford Thunderbird LX

the digatal speedometer is dim

116,285

There a set of lamps just for the digital readout, if 1 of them is burned out your display will be dim. These are special lamps so if you replace them yourself make sure that you do not touch the bulbs as it will shorten their life considerably, and replace them in pairs.

5

try turning the head light knob to the right a little.

25

I agree with tennisshoes, all the lamps need to be burning to get the full visual effect.

sorry guys i failed to mention it was digital

10

To the one dingus...there's no knob for the the lights on one of these, it's a rocker switch. Go to coolcats.net, or FoxTbirdCougarForums.com for a proper fix, as well as many other useful bits of info for these uncommon cars ;)

27,975

Ya know...I've changed a million (ok, maybe not a million but a lot) of these bulbs out. The OEM bulb is Halogen and correct: do nit touch the new bulbs with your bare hands. Cotton gloves are ideal. For most of my customers, $9 a bulb was too high so I replaced them (all of them, not just the speedo) with 194 bulbs. Not as bright but work just fine.

10

I apologize for being off topic, but I came across the above picture while searching the web for custom 88 Thunderbirds, trying to get ideas. Is this bird owned by someone on here? I'd really like to get info on the custom front clip. I certainly appreciate any info. Thank you all very much! RC