1989 Bronco II 2.9 liter fuel injection, runs good, but smells of gasoline when you shut off the engine.

Asked by Jan 16, 2015 at 06:20 PM about the 1989 Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer

The Bronco starts and runs good, but in the garage afterward it has a strong gasoline smell...

465

Make sure all the sparkplug wires are in the right order. If you try fuel injector cleaner, try Lucas brand. Check to see if the distributor is loose, the timing may be off. Spark plugs and wires may need to be replaced, along with the distributor cap and rotor. If the smoke is black, it is burning oil, if white, it is burning water, greyish, it may be excess gas the engine can't burn. You should be able to tell by the smell also. If fuel injectors are bad, it may smell like gasoline inside the vehicle.

Thank you. The Bronco II does not smoke at all and you can't smell gasoline inside the vehicle. I had thought about fuel injection cleaner, but it runs good - it does not miss and it starts right up. I don't drive it that often, but when I do after I walk back into my garage it smells like raw gasoline.

465

Check your fuel filter and also check for a leak. Check your trunk to make sure it doesn't smell like gas in there.