I have a bronco 2 aoutmatic and I been having a problem going forward. I put some transmission fluid in and when I put it in drive, the gear doesn't work? Anyone know why?

Asked by Jul 24, 2013 at 12:07 AM about the 1988 Ford Bronco II XL

I have to touch the gas for a little bit ll I feel
it go into drive

23,765

If the transmission is full of fluid but it won't go until you rev the engine, there's an internal leakage problem. Usually, what you're describing is a low fluid condition - not enough oil for the filter to pick up but if it's full of oil, it's time for a tear-down and reseal (as long as there's no burned parts or glitter in the fluid).

Thanks Tracy. Do u think if I out more oil in that it will work? I am getting close for an oil change

23,765

It really needs to have the proper amount of fluid in it. If you don't know how to check it then might I suggest stopping by a shop that will check it for you? If there's too much, the oil will foam and cause it to shift weird and slip. If there isn't enough, it will slip and cause it to burn out - and if it's low, there's a leak. I wouldn't add fluid to it unless I was certain that it's low.

725

I had a similar issue in my '88 B-II. Nothing like starting from a stop, on mountain roads and the truck glides backward until the transmission kicks in. Yeah, I feel your pain. As Tracy mentioned, you may want to have your mechanic check for a leak, be it an external or internal leak. In talking with my mechanics over the years, the "stop leak" type products sold over the counter were not recommended (Not suggesting that you were considering that option, just a comment based on my experience for this & similar leaks).

20

Im having a similar problem, my 88 B-II wont shift into reverse at times and also slips out of overdrive and high hear