I tr4ied to smog my 1986 Bronco 2,,they told me the check engine light needed replacing,,I tore apart the dashboard and the check engine light is covered up. there was no light in there to begin wit

Asked by Mar 23, 2013 at 07:03 PM about the 1986 Ford Bronco II STD 4WD

232,675

I'm sure the 1986 Ford Bronco's never had a check engine light bulb even though you can see a provision for it on the cluster. I know for sure the '87-88 Mustangs didn't have a bulb, and not until 1989 and they added a Mass Air computer systemm and included a bulb, which woud trigger if a code popped up. Sorry you had to go through all that trouble for nothing. If you put a bulb in your cluster, you will see it lite up on startup but won't go off if there is a code. (not hooked up to the PCM) Tell the emission guys that they have the wrong information or find another place to have it checked.

64,995

As Tom said you may not have one. My '86 Chevy C10 Pick Up, which I bought new, didn't have one. Some did while others did not. Instead of having a "check engine" light my truck had a "choke" light. As I recall this was explained in the owner's manual. HTH. -Jim

8,345

It depended on the market for which the vehicle was built, and what optional equipment was on the vehicle. For example, Ford Crown Victorias and Mercury Grand Marquis with the 351 (5.8l) engine did not have a check engine light at all, since they had a 2 bbl VV carburetor on them. The instrument cluster had provision for one, though. That way, the factory only had to maintain a supply of one IP, not 2 or 3 depending on the market. Some shops just don't get this.

725

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard may have the part you are looking for. Or, if not, they may know what could fit / swap would work in its place. Good Luck!! Link: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/a-307-1984-97-ford-ranger-broncoii-explorer.html