timing question

Asked by Dec 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM about the 1996 Dodge Neon 4 Dr STD Sedan

I lost almost 100 mpg by replacing my timing belt on my '96 dodge neon(went from aroung 4 to around 3).someone had it way advanced. was this hurting my engine (to have it that far advanced) or would i be ok to put it back to this. accourding to factory spec i have it set right on the money, i am getting 24. Also is advancing the timing at all going to hurt it in the long run.

93,655

Leave it at factory specs. The engine control unit (ECU) has software that is designed to work best with the cams in the stock positions. I don't know what the advanced timing will do in the long run but I don't think it did any good.

1,585

The question as asked doesn't make very much sense, but I agree with tenspeed. The ignition and fuel timing are advanced and retarded by the ECM anyways, depending on the engine's load and rpm. This is done in relation to 'base' timing, which is the cam timing. The cam timing should be set to the factory timing marks, and should not be adjusted.

1,455

is this a sohc or dohc engine?

sohc

I HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM....I HAVE THE TIMING DEAD ON, BUT IT HAS A RANDOM MISFIRE AND I AM CONSUMING SOO MUCH GAS. I CHANGED THE TIMING BELT 3 YEARS AGO AND NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE ALSO CHANGED THE CAMSHAFT SENSOR AND THE MAS SENSORS. ANY OTHER IDEAS??

1,585

A misfire can be caused by anything from worn out spark plugs, wires, a bad ignition coil, plugged fuel injectors, an intake leak post-MAF sensor, a bad O2 sensor, a bad crank sensor... Too many variables to pinpoint just one item.