Antifreeze/coolant Leak?

Asked by Sep 28, 2014 at 01:00 AM about the 1998 Dodge Neon 4 Dr Highline Sedan

I have a problem with antifreeze/coolant being where it shouldn't be. I have taken three pictures that I think would help show what I'm talking about. If you click on each picture you will see a bigger version and will be able to clearly see the green antifreeze on that lip that sits behind where the hood latches and in front of the radiator or fan. (Notice the splashing too?)

http://s47.photobucket.com/user/donuthurt/library/

I just got my car back from the mechanic. I had a timing belt break and ruin my engine, so I've had the engine replaced, plus a bunch of other work they found that needed to be done. My point is that it has recently been worked on. My car hasn't overheated, but I noticed wisps of smoke coming from the engine after I turned it off.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Oh yeah, it's a 1998 Plymouth Neon Highline.

17,900

Take it back to the mechanic that did all the work and have him fix it for free. If you spent that much money on the car it shouldn't have that kind of problem. Could be as simple as a loose hose clamp.

32,395

Ditto to what T.A. advised you. Then sell it.

Also tell the mechanic that is he doesn't back up his work you will report him to the Better Business Bureau. Don't let him tell you that what happened has nothing to do with his fix because it does.

Here's what was suggested to me in another forum: "Check the raised rectangle surface where the "Caution Fans May Start" sticker is. I know a lot of 2gn radiators have developed a crack in the rectangle and leaked there." I wiped everything down, started the engine, and within a minute or so, fluid started leaking from that exact spot. After I wiped everything clean, I could see a narrow crack maybe 1.5" long. So, here's my dilemma: Considering all the work I had done, whose responsibility is this? No work was done on the radiator. If my old engine was taken out and the replacement engine put in, would the mechanic have much/any contact with the radiator? I'm assuming that's my original radiator and not part of the engine replacement. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm wondering if they could have knocked something heavy against that spot when the were changing the engines. I just don't know how to approach my mechanic about this. I have put $6,500 into that car over the past three months, yet if they're not responsible for that radiator crack, then I have no beef with them. I'm just broke and would appreciate any and all input about how this might have happened and how I should approach my mechanic. Thank you!!