I have a 2013 Toyota Corolla Type S. Do I need to change the Transmission Fluid at 50k Miles?

110

Asked by May 08, 2015 at 02:37 PM about the 2013 Toyota Corolla S

I have a 2013 Toyota Corolla Type S.

I went in for a 45k Tune Up and they told me I needed to get a fuel injector kit service and that I should be getting a Transmission Fluid Flush at 50k miles.  

Should I be getting a Transmission Fluid Flush or should i change my Transmission fluid at 50k miles?

No. Toyota says the fluid is good for the life of the car. But even so, I changed the fluid in my Corolla @60,000 miles anyway. But 50k no, Not even 60 really.

OH a flush, I didn't see that at first. Absolutely positively NOT. A drain and fill at 60,000...80,000 if you choose to but NO FLUSH

Is this a dealer...and did you buy the car new? Has it been 2 years? You may still be under Toyota Care program with all maintenance is free for 2 years

110

Why not a flush?

110

It was the dealer suggesting it. It has been over 2 years for my maintenance. I went in for a Tune Up and they were trying to sell me on a Fuel Injector Service, which I turned down. They said i needed to have my fluids filled. I am working on getting that done on my own (Power Steering and other fluids). They gave me a warning about a Transmission Fluid Flush to be done sometime soon, preferably at 50k.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-13Corolla/pdf/2013_Toyota_Corolla_WMG_lr.pdf Maintenance schedule goes as high as 120,000 miles or 144 months,(12 years) and NO mention of transmission fluid change. My 2006 Corolla says the same thing, but with an exception of if you pull a trailer OFTEN and have a FULL 880lb passengers and cargo load, drain-and-fill- @60,000 but the 2013 doesn't even say that

In the bottom of the transmission pan there are small particles and even a magnet that collects steel 'dust'. Also in the filter screen. They do no harm just being there. A flush picks up all that stuff and circulates it through the transmission...doing far more harm than good. A flush is only for a transmission that is about to die anyway, and will extend it's life briefly...if at all.

Don't fall for it. Don't take my word either. http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2282134/transmission-flush-as-part-of-regular-maintenance-or-scam

110

Thank you so much!! I'm glad I don't need to do anything other than checking my fluids. And will get an oil change at 50k.

http://www.corolland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21257-when-to-flush-transmission-fluid/ --"They are trying to fleece you of your hard earned money" ...the list goes on...and on..

Geez, this dealer ought to be investigated. Seriously. A fuel injection service !?! You did right declining that

110

Thank you for all your help!! I used to own a 2006 Toyota Corolla and had a transmission fluid flush done at 95k. I was weary of that at the time but got it done. This time around, I'm glad I went to the internet for help. I definitely did not want to spend all this money for no apparent reason. I had a feeling the Fuel Injection Kit Service was a joke. The service manager got pissy with me as if I was making a horrible decision. Thank you again for all your help!

20

There's nothing in the world wrong with getting a transmission fluid change after 50k miles. That's probably around the time it starts to be needed. Of course, you can always check by simply looking at the color of the transmission fluid via the transmission dipstick (if bright red, then the fluid is good; if it is brown at all, a fluid change is needed). And a transmission flush is not necessarily as bad as you are making it out to be. Yes, if you use the shop machine, it can circulate debris and particles throughout the transmission, which is not good. But alternatively, you can do a flush yourself by simply draining out all of the old fluid either via the transmission pan and torque converter drain plug (if your vehicle has one), or, if your vehicle does not have a torque converter drain plug, you could run the old fluid out through the supply line to the cooler. Either way, the system is "flushed" of all its old fluid, and that shouldn't damage your transmission at all. (Sometimes you could even add a flushing chemical to the transmission before changing the filter to clean it out more thoroughly. In that case, any junk and debris will collect at the FILTER, which is fine, since you are replacing it with a new filter anyway. Then you can drop the pan to get rid of all of the junk.) I'm not sure why you think a Fuel Injection service is bad, either. Cleaning the fuel injectors can be helpful for your fuel economy. Is there any reason you think it is such a useless service?