used a key that was made at walmart for my dodge neon , it started up for 5 seconds then shut off now it wont start at all

10

Asked by Feb 08, 2015 at 02:55 PM about the 2000 Dodge Neon 4 Dr ES Sedan

when i used my key we got made it started up the car for a few seconds then it died , i
tried this a couple more times and now the car wont start at all

71,875

You've activated the anti-theft system. The car thinks that you're trying to steal it. Assuming that the new Walmart key is a transponder key, which I strongly doubt, it'll have to be programmed to the car so the car will recognize that the correct key is being used and you're not trying to steal it. I actually have one of those cheepo beepo keys in my wallet in case I lock my keys in the car. It's good enough to open the door, but it won't start the car. HTH. -Jim

10

am i able to program this myself

71,875

You may be able to. See if you can google the procedure or talk to your local Dodge dealer. For example I couldn't on my '08 Grand Marquis. I bought the car used and only had 1 key with it. In order to program additional keys I needed 2 working keys to begin with. But on my '00 Grand Prix I only needed 1 working key to program additional keys. So on that car I was able to do it myself. HTH. -Jim