Power steering pump belt

20

Asked by May 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM about the 2002 Dodge Stratus SE

What bolts do I have to loosen to replace my power steering belt? I have a Dodge Stratus 2.4 DOHC.

on this car...none, there is a 1/2" square to which you will put a breaker bar in and push in the oppsite direction of the tension, the belt will go slack and you can fish it out of there~

Best Answer Mark helpful

see you give a correct answer, and still have zero reputation points~ why do I bother?

20

Keep bothering!! thanks for your help!

gots me 280 points now...used to be 29509 when I was judge_roy. Got too nervous and didn't want to step on the toes of the likes of Tom Deyman (no.1) DavidH25 no.2 or Tenspeed (no3) judge_roy is No.4...but I chickened out and pressed the "reset button"...no one is happy about it, but it's the same dude, with the same ideas about stuff~

40

@operator_13: your answer is correct for the serpentine belt, which must be removed first to replace the power steering belt, but it's not all the story. The serpentine belt provides drive to the alternator, and air conditioning compressor. A smaller belt behind the serpentine belt on the main crank pulley (I think the real term may be "harmonic balancer" but I'm not sure) drives the power steering pump. The pump itself is the tensioner for this belt and must be loosened and swiveled to put tension on the new belt. @Lisaca42: On my 2002 Stratus SE sedan with the DOHC 2.4, the power steering pump has a multi-groove pulley (sheave) on it, with this smaller belt situated on the sheave as close to the pump as it will go. From what I can see, it looks like I'll have to put the car up on blocks to get to the pump. It will be important for me to get the belt lined up straight before applying tension to avoid a premature failure due to misalignment. Good luck to you. I hope your Stratus is less troublesome than mine has been.

40

UPDATE: The sheave on the power steering pump is not muti-groove... I was looking in the wrong place. Got under it this morning and traced the belt back. The pump is a bit higher than I thought. Sorry for the bum dope, folks.