Problems with EVAP leak

230

Asked by Feb 07, 2011 at 12:04 PM about the 2002 Dodge Stratus SE

Lately I've been having problems with a check engine light code P0456 (EVAP emissions leak very small) So after taking my car to this shop numerous times, I decided to take my car to the dealership to have them look at it. The service advisor told me that the EVAP hoses to the EVAP cannister were bad and was causing the leak.The person told me that the EVAP system (The canister, hoses, and the valve) are connected to the gas tank and all have to be replaced. I got an estimate of almost $1700 dollars! I was in shocked! Is there a cheaper way of getting my car repaired? Or is there a way to just get the hoses fixed?  (That's the main problem) Or do I have to suck it up and pay. I've always heard taking your car to the dealer for repair is expensive and I have to question this. have to look at some options here instead of taking the dealerships word for it.

NO it would not be bad on a 02,the lines are plastic and take years to go bad,replace gas cap,that should fix it,a old one will loose its seal and through this code,just make sure u turn it at least 3 clicks or more.

12,425

common misconception with your 3 clicks theory, it clicks to keep the cap from overtightening and cracking its self, making your gas cap click more than once does nothing

230

Hi Dan, Thanks for posting. Here's a link from last month. It's about my problem with the check engine light: http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t4361_ds493809

230

Hi papa, Thanks for posting. My post for Dan was also to you.