Several problems with my 02 neon...

Asked by Jan 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM about the 2002 Dodge Neon 4 Dr ES Sedan

Hello all,
I've had my '02 neon for two years. In this time I've noticed several problems that I can't seem to find consistent fixes for. If anyone can help out it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, the horn goes off all by itself, and stays on, not as if the alarm was going off. I eventually took out the horn fuse cause it went off while I was in class one day and attracted a crowd and a few police officers who thought it was a bomb. Is this bad wiring? I'm afraid to mess with the wheel cover because of the air bag. I kind of need the horn to work since I drive in a high-traffic area daily and I need to be able to warn people before they change lanes right into my poor neon.

Secondly, the trunk leaks like holy hell. The weather stripping is intact, but my whole trunk has molded over and I am seriously pissed. Anything I put in there gets water-logged, even if it isn't raining. Every once in a while I'll open it up on a sunny day to try and dry it out, but I'm in florida so it rains every other day anyways, and it just fills up again.

The defroster smells moldy too. No idea how this happened, but could there be a way to clean it or something?

The fog lights flicker on and off when my headlights are on, even if they're switched off. If I hold it down really hard, they go off. Does this mean that it's a switch problem or a funny wire cross or something? I've been switching them on to remedy the flickering problem, but when others borrow my car, they don't know to do it and they'll call me in distress over it.

When I'm stopped and in drive, the car vibrates. I've changed the spark plugs which helped for a week or so before it started doing it again. Shifting into neutral helps a bit, but it still shakes more than I think it should. I've heard it could be a timing belt. Ideas?

When I'm driving faster than 80 (uhh... oops?) and tap the brake, my left turn signal will turn on and stay solid until I let off the brake. No idea what this could be.

FINALLY, is there any way to adjust the headlights without removing the housing from the car? Its a mighty tight space in there and taking them out seems stupid since you need to have them IN in order to see what level the light is at as you adjust.

8,325

Okay as for the leaking trunk, it's a neon, a car I refer to as the fish bowl. You're lucky it's only the trunk as usually the floor fills too. Sometimes it's a gasket on the rear light assembly. It fills up until it spills out from the back of it into the trunk. The horn will be an issue you'll likely need to take it to a shop for. Pick up a haynes and try and troubleshoot yourself, but be very careful of airbag. The vibrating could be several things. Neons weren't exactly balanced to exacting standards so there may be nothing you can do. Make sure your motor mounts aren't rotted out. The fact that you said new plugs fixed it for awhile makes me think you may have a leaking valve cover gasket causing bad spark. Pull your plugs wires, if there is oil on the boot then that's a likely cause. Fog lights sounds like an issue with the switch, goto a junkyard and pick up a used one. Chances are it's a manufacturing flaw and a used one will work fine. I can't remember a time replacing the headlights but usually there are adjustment screws. Moldy smell... I used a Meguiar's product once that worked well... can't remember what it was called. The brake light/turn signal sounds like a straight up short... Electrical is not my forte so I'll leave that to someone else.

3,145

im surprised you dont have the common squeeky brakes as well. check the cam sensor that might be leaking oil thats pretty common in those. they are such a junky car in my opinon ugh i hate them i wish my wife could get a different car she hates it to.

405

I hate mine too...piece of crap car!