My rear passenger side door will not latch and stay closed, any ideas?

20

Asked by Sep 06, 2015 at 02:52 AM about the 2013 Ford Escape SE

I went through the past posts and found answers to questions about how
they cannot get their rear door to open but nothing on the opposite end. I
have a 2013 Ford Escape and the rear passenger side door will not latch
closed. I just opened it while cleaning it out and it won't close now. I've tried
switching on/off the locking safety feature and the little things I could think
of but no luck. I live in apartment complex so my vehicle is sitting
unprotected not to mention I am supposed to go on long trip in two days.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated, especially since its holiday
weekend so doubtful I'll be able to find service help tomorrow, let alone if
vehicle is still there in morning.

2,345

ok ok here look at the latch part of the latch and see if the clasp is closed.here I have a better idea I have added a video. ok if this is not it and the clasp is is clasping and then just opening back up again with out operating the handle it could be that the that either the latch is bad or you have a stuck rod on the inside of the doo that is holding the latch open like the handle is pulled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmWsM-TSaKo

Best Answer Mark helpful
20

Thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated especially with it being late night on holiday weekend. The clasp is not stuck down, stopping the door from latching. I am able to move the clasp, open and close position, but clasp won't catch to keep secured. Do you happen to know if this part is going to be a dealer only part (meaning I wouldn't be able to p/u till Tuesday) or could it be p/u from auto store like a Pep Boys or Auto Zone so could get installed myself tomorrow?

2,345

let me see and if so I will give you the part number

2,345

i looks to be a dealer or wrecking yard item only. although I do think that you should call the parts houses to make sure. I have been wrong in the past. just FYI if you have a friend that has a business you should order the part through them for the discount

20

Thanks again, your a huge help. I will try to follow your advice on friend with business to get discount as it sounds like the part might be expensive. Now i'll just have to keep an eye out for the next couple nights to make sure I keep the low lifes with sticky fingers from going thru my non-locking vehicle. Thanks again for your help.

2,345

if you have to pull that side close to some thing so they cant get the door open.if there is a wall or post or another car you have.

23,735

Have a pro look at it since it is a safety issue-

Mi driver's side rear door started doing this and I taped it shut so I could get to work yesterday. I called the dealer and they are having me bring it in to look at it. The service manager said, and I quote, "What people have done in the past with this problem is to connect a tie down to the inside handle on the opposite side to secure the car." I have put hundreds of thousands miles on my 14 different cars over the years and have never had a door that wouldn't stay shut.What a disappointment Ford! This may be a recall issue from what I read.

10

I have the same problem Saturday Sept. 3rd , 2016 with our 2013 Ford Escape SE model. I was checking tire pressures this past Friday night to be ready to leave on trip early Saturday morning and noticed the rear right side passenger door was slightly open . I pulled the door open as it was not latched and tried to close it. It would not latch. I checked the latch mechanism and it would move to open and closed by using small flat bladed screw driver. I used the key fob to try to actuate the lock and unlock feature and the clicks could be heard locking and unlocking the other doors and also the door that would not latch. I also checked the small white plastic button that keeps kids from opening the doors when they are in the rear seats. Still couldn't see or determine why door wouldn't. close properly. We live two miles from Ford AutoNation dealer. ( where we bought the Escape when it was new. & now has 63,000 miles on it) . Saturday am , we put our luggage in back. I tied door shut with tope and we left the house and drove to the Ford dealer. I told service attendant about problem with door , and could they help fix the door quickly as we had to drive to Atlanta to catch our flight there. They had our car no longer than 20 to 25 minutes. They told me the door latch was broken and parts had to be ordered. As if that wasn't bad enough , I was given a bill for $124 . I asked what in the hell for? The service attendant said "well we had to hook a computer up to it and do a diagnostic check". Just to tell me my door latch is physically broken.? I am thoroughly PO'd at Ford and this dealership. Especially since I have purchased 5 vehicles from them in the past 12 years and that they have to charge $124 for a computer diagnostic check that took ten minutes. I am waiting now for the Ford dealer to call back with cost for parts and labor to fix our Escape. I would fix it my self if I could get parts . I would like to hear from anyone with similar door problem and what it takes to fix it. .

10

It is 2017 now My 2014 Ford Escape titanium edition rear driver side door latch won't work.. the Door would swing open because the locking mechanism won't keep the door shut.. This is a recall Problem and ford better Fix this As soon as possible and free of charge. I looked at other sites and I am not the only One with this same problem and it seems Other 2014 ford escape owners had the same thing happen to them too.

10

This is a long standing issue with Ford. I have a 2005 Ford Focus and there was a recall on my vehicle for faulty latches a number of years ago. The dealer replaced it for free, then a few years ago the latches broke AGAIN on BOTH of my rear doors. I called a local Ford dealership to let them know there replacement for the recall was a failure and they said they would not fix it since my car was already "fixed" under the recall. I was very disappointed in Ford's response. I'm in the market for a new car now and, needless to say, I will NOT be getting a Ford.

Oh, great. Just got home from grocery store (11-16-17) and my driver-side front door WON’T LATCH CLOSED!!!? After reading through the previous postings from other Ford owners, it’s obvious I’m not the only one with this problem!! Even for a simple recall issue, my Ford Escape has spent SEVERAL days, each time, at the nearest Ford dealership.