Won't shift into drive

Asked by Jun 30, 2015 at 07:23 PM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible with Bench Seats

My Son's "65" Mustang has a newly rebuilt motor and a dated freshened auto (289/c4).
The car has sat for approx 12 years, but the trans was freshened prior to the long period
of sitting. Fluid is bright red and smells ok. Issue: we have adjusted the linkage to the
point of now we're not sure where to turn. The car when driving, will not shift out of 2nd
gear, wether you leave it in drive or try to shift it manually. Suggestions????
Thank you for whatever thoughts you can share.
Todd

19,550

On that year vehicle I believe the transmission has what they called a programmable RPM trans shifter.

Best Answer Mark helpful
98,515

Check the vacuum modulator and the vacuum supply to it, if it isn't working it can cause this problem, make sure the kickdown linkage is set properly, it is also possible that sitting that long some of the internal seals could have shrunk to the point where they are just leaking pressure. You can try an additive like TransX, it might help soften the seals, but eventually you will have to get back into the tranny.

50,765

I wonder if a mouse has chewed on the vacuum hose that feeds the modulator.

50,765

...or possibly the vacuum hose is kinked, plugged or missing.

295

I agree with the Modulator folks. It could be the modulator itself is bad, or a bug (a real bug) or dirt got into it or the hose. Or the hose is not connected tightly, or it is old and cracked and leaking vacuum . I've restored quite a few 65-69 Mustangs and on these cars, I don't know of anything programmable except for the radio stations on the radio.