Hello. I have a 2012 Chevy Impala LT, 3.6L V6. It has roughly 35,000 miles on it. Occasionally when I hit the brakes I get a Stabilitrak Error Message "Service Stabiltrak". When it happens the odometer needle fluctuates and the power locks engage/disengage. Some days it won't happen at all. Other days it'll happen almost every time I hit the brakes. Someone mentioned ot have the front wheel sensors (speed and abs sensor) looked at. Would appreciate any suggestions for where to start. Thanks.

MrRobinson
220

Asked by Apr 06, 2013 at 03:04 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Impala LS Fleet

87,205

Since it's a relatively new car and it should have some sort of warranty, take it back to the dealer. It may be a known problem and they can fix it. When the speedometer needle dancing and locks cycling, it sounds like a lack of 12 volt power to them when the brake light bulbs are energized.

53,135

Sounds like a problem with the BCM (body control module). This is the onboard computer that controls your power locks, lights, even the horn. Since the car is only a year old & has less than 36,000 miles on it it should be covered by new car warranty. HTH. -Jim

Joe Bartlett
735

you need to get the ebcm reprogramed for this condition,should be cover in your warranty at a gm dealer

MrRobinson
220

Hey thanks guys. I just got back in town yesterday since I posted the question and noticed the service brake assist message as well. So when I hit the brakes I get "service brake assist" then "service stabiltrak" while the speedometer needle fluctuates and the door locks cycle and i believe the radio turns off for a second then back on. I'll definitely take it in and have them look into the BCM. Thanks again. Also, I don't know why I said 2012, it's 2011.

53,135

Check your warranty booklet. I believe GM still had 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty coverage in 2011. You may still be covered. HTH. -Jim

Shunnett
50

I have the same exact problem with mine, except the air conditioning goes out as well! What ended up being the problem with yours! I'm thinking about replacing the BCM.

Shunnett
50

I had the car on the computer & the following codes came up; U100, U0140, U0101, P0575, P069E, P0700, & U7300. They are uncertain about what it is and feel that it is either the BCM or the sensor in the tire/bearing. But the sensor shouldn't knock out the A/C, the bouncing speedometer, or the radio. With mine, it seems like it only happens when it's been sitting in the hot sun. Chevy dealerships state that they're not aware of this being a problem, and replacing the BCM is their best guess. They said it "might" just be a loose ground wire...another mechanic said it could be the ignition switch....oy vey!!! I don't really want to waste a lot of money on what it "could or might" be....

Amanda Bishop
200

I also have a 2012 Chevrolet Impala LTZ.. i purchased my car last november fron a used car dealer and it had $30,000 miles on it. I only had it for 3 months and it started making noises in the front left... sounded like a scraping/grinding noise and it only did it a couple times and went away. After about 2 months of intermittent noises the ABS light came on, the service stabilitrak warning, service traction control warning, and service brake assist warning. I took it to three different mechanics (2 of which are certified GM mechanics) and nobody had an answer. I finally found a trusted mechanic who dissected the problem and they told me i needed to replace the left front hub assembly becuz it was worn and cracked. My car does not have the bumper to bumper warranty any more becuz i have about 50,000 miles on it. This repair cost me $400! NOW i am being told that there is a defect in the ABS SENSOR MODULE which is not covered under manufacturer 100,000 mile warranty! This repair is approximately $450! WTF??! I am wondering if this is something I can wait to repair now that i am broke from the first repair??? i am not a happy owner of this car seems like there has been nothing but grief an i read alot about these chevy impala's having issues.

53,135

Yes, the ABS module can wait. It will not effect your normal braking. However, the anti lock feature and probably the traction control, if equipped, will be disabled. So keep that in mind. If you have to panic stop you will skid. HTH. -Jim

MrRobinson
220

Hey guys... I'm the original poster. After taking the car to the GM dealer, the problem ended up being two wires were meshed together at the wire harness. They were the cause of all of the sensor issues. It was a $160 dollar repair. All has been great since. no issues at all.

Yes...for some reason the Engineers decided to go delicate...instead of HEARTY they could have used a 12V signal...but N000000, they had to use a "field effect" like from a transistor....light and flakey with a tendancy to get mixed in with the spaghetti~...just because the signals are minimal does not mean that the wires have to be minimal...especially in a clobber- abrasive environment with a lot of flexing and dust~...some people's kids, I tell ya~

Critter954
80

2012 Impala LT owner here...few months ago while backing out of driveway and leaving...slight grinding noise in front and stabilitrak light flickers. progressively got worse...called dealership and told I was "taking off" to fast! Yeah, right. Took car to dealer (only 24000m) and replaced right front worn hub bearing. All is well for about 2-3 weeks then the grinding started again....back to dealership...this time the right hub bearing.! You would think it would have been checked the first time. first day with both bearings replaced, ok. Then a small shimmy in front end...I'm thinking its the road I am on "NOT" has been 2 weeks and leaving for working this am... drove about 1mile and turned around. the pulsing and vibration in front end scared the bejeepers out of me...waiting for dealership to open to have towed. Only upside at this point is the warranty/ext warranty I have!

Critter954
80

Edit....left hub bearing change after the right one changed.

rasky1
20

2012 Impala LT. 57000miles. Wheel hub/bearings bad both sides. REALLY????!!!! Just dropped $650 on tires and alignment (that couldn't possibly be accurate with bad hubs), now dealership wants another $700+ to replace bearings and "realign" wheels. the only other car I've ever had with bearing issues had 200,000+ miles on it. Bumper to bumper warranty was gone at 36k, and the "power train" warranty to 100k doesn't cover this. RIDICULOUS, cuz I'm quite sure the "power" has to pass thru the bearings to get from the engine to the road!!!! (front wheels)

Nelson_1999
40

So I'm reading all your post, I bought my 2012 Impala used exactly 1 yr ago. I've been very happy with my purchase until about 2weeks ago. I keep getting the same info on the dash, it says Service Traction Control, Stabilitrak & Reducing engine Power. I took it to the dealership & they wanted $140.00 just to look at it. my warranty is up & this is not covered under my powertrain warranty. I have 90,000 miles. What should I be more cautious for Left/Right Hub or some wires?

53,135

Check the wiring first that goes to the hub assemblies. They are always flexing and moving every time you turn the steering wheel. With that kind of mileage on a 2 year old car, is it a retired taxi? If so, it was driven hard! HTH. -Jim

Malissa Skinner Lewis
40

Ok so i have a 2011 chevey impala and i have 55,000 miles on it bought it used with 38,000 miles so now i was at a store today and come out and startred my car and the service tracktion control light came on!! Only had the car two years when i called the dealer ship youll never guess the warranty is up to! But to top it all off the defrost mount for thr rear windsheild came off the same day to the point if i turn it on it will spark!!! But yet to have them looked at they want to charge me 150.00 just to look at it!

jdrizzle
40

We have a 2010 impala that has been throwing the service stabilitrak, service traction control and engine power reduced warnings. Dealership replaced thr gas pedal. The throttle body was replaced and both front wheel speed sensors/hubs where replaced just today and the problem is still there. It actually is worse now. It all comes on as soon as you start the car

MrRobinson
220

@jdrizzle Have they checked the wires at the wire harness? A few wires were meshed together on my Impala. Once they replaced the wires everything cleared up. Haven't had any issues since.

input122
30

I too was getting Stabilitrak Error Message "Service Stabiltrak". and the engine said it was powering down. I took it to the local dealer they put it on the scanner and told me that it was covered under a warranty no charge to me my car is 2011 Chevy Impala LTit hasa hundred Seven thousand miles on it. they said it was actually in the gas pedal and they fixed it for free.

input122
30

when I took it to the dealership in the big city they wanted 140 bucks to tell me what the problem was but my local dealer small town 2500 put it on the scanner for free and fixed it.

idella84
60

So I have a 2013 Impala and the same thing started happening to me. Of course Chevy said my warranty is up and wanted 112.00 to tell me what was wrong. I took it to oreillys, he told me the abs sensor is bad. The guys at my parts store said it would be best to change the hub seeing as the sensor is located inside of it. Long story short I changed the hub on drivers side and paid $71.51for the part. So far she is driving like she use to!!

mjb27955
30

I have a 2012 Impala and started to hear the grinding noise coming from my front left. Thinking my break pads were worn, I replaced them and the rotors. Breaks looked good, but was happy to replace breaks. The noise continued whenever I came to a stop and then had to drive forward. A few days later, the Traction Control light came on. I turned the traction control off for the past two days, and I haven't heard the grinding noise any longer. I will definitely try replacing the hub and ABS....Thanks for sharing.

LeCartier48
0

2013 Chevy Impala, 75000 miles with the left front noise when turning left after backing. Chevy dealer replaced sensors, hubs( twice on left, once on right even though the noise was left front. Independent dealer charged 700 to change and look at problem. Still has problem, he says to drive it 100 and he will check the ABS. I think I just got kissed off.

Mike Carter
0

I am having the same issue. I have my mechanic looking at this. I advised him to check the ground wires... My warranty is up and Power train does not cover it.. this some bs that chevy will not cover this defect that obviously is an issue. I am waiting on my dealer to get back with me so I can let him know of this bs... and he asked me if I want to upgrade. Naw I may need to get a different car.

Jannah_88
250

Dear All, I have the same issue and I've been informed that this is the same issue that many other Chevy Impala owner has. I have sent a message to GM and now I am going to start a Class Action Lawsuit. Everyone with the same issue, please stand by for more information. Thank you,

lroberson83
0

2012 chevy impala, my sons car, he turned a corner and his car stalled and powered down, then the stabilitak traction control came on and car starting running like crap, now knocking really bad. need some help, Took it in to a local shop and they ran diagnostic and told us he had internal engine problem, then told us it could be a worn valve or valve spring but have to take top part of engine apart, labor alone going to cost 2000-2500. we don't have that kind of money. of course no warranty on the car. So I called GMC service and checked to see if a recall, of course not.but they did say then needed to diagnostic on it the see if they could help. me at 125. per hour. has anyone found the problem yet?

Jannah_88
250

@Iroberson83 I have a 2013 Chevy Impala. At 36,000+ I started hearing a grinding noise on the front of my vehicle. I took it to Chevy multiple times and they were not able to diagnose the problem. Then I took it to another Chevy dealership and found out it was a wheel barring and hub issue. After a few months i started hearing the noise again and because it was intermittent, it went undiagnosed (again). A year later and at 90,000 the noise was very bad that I took it to Chevy again. I was told it was due to my steering wheel fluid level was low, so I paid to get it flushed. Guess what the problem didn't go away. At 100,000+ miles the noise was no longer intermittent. If I turned the wheel left or right it would grind. Worst part was when I had to turn at an intersection and I accelerated even just a little, it would grind and prevent my car from moving. Very dangerous! So I'm out of warranty and Chevy diagnosed my car and said I had to get a Hub and Harness replaced. Thanks to the service advisor and discount coupons I only paid $1,500 vs the $1,900 it would have cost. But that's still $1,500!!! I was informed that this is an issue particularly with this Chevy model. And as I read through all of your messages I can see that it's a real problem. I wrote a msg to GM. If we all complain to GM they should do a recall.

Frank_Hud
0

I have had the same problem with my 2012 Chevy Impala LT for almost a year now. The service stabilitrak warning, service traction control warning, and service brake assist warnings all come on once I step on the brake, if not on already when I start the car. It also makes a grinding noise when I step the brake and the messages appear. I have had this fixed at the dealership with them saying it needed a new ABS sensor. I got it replaced and a month later what do you know the same problem yet again! The car currently has 140,000 miles on it so it has been used hard, but its still going!

somerjs
15

I have a 2012 Impala LTZ with the same described problems as above. They came on recently with about 65k miles. I ordered new hub/wheel assemblies that include the sensor for both right and left front. I feel it will be cheaper to replace them myself and see if that fixes it versus letting some shop mess with it. The whole assembly with new bearings and all was only $90 each and I bought the better ones. I will return to this site and let you know if it works. May 24, 2016. somerj

Elisha Henderson
0

Im having the same problem as well my car has 4100 miles and is a 2013. I need to replace my left hub assembly. After reading all these posts im definitely wondering why its not recalled when everyone is having the same issue!! I bought my car brand new and havent even had it a whole 3 years and these posts pretty much garentee after replacing it ill still have to replace it again!! Smh ill think again next time i want to buy american!!!!!!!

idella84
60

Have replaced hubs on both sides and also extension to the wire harness for the hub and either have yet to fix it. It did fix it for a month or so and then back to same issue

mjb27955
30

Unfortunately we did the same and now we are having the same issues.....This has to be something with the impala.....Thanks

Jannah_88
250

Dear Impala Owners, I suggest you all contact GM Chevrolet. This is the person who is "supposedly investigating". They have told me that no other impala has been reported to have the sane issues. They are trying to work out a deal, offering additional warranty on my vehicle- Bull. They are just trying to satisfy me so they won't have to do a recall. Here's the info: Jhan Chevrolet Customer Assistance Phone Number: 1-866-790-5700 Extension Number: 5920335

susie2267
0

I have a 2012 Impala with about 118,000 miles I bought used 2 yrs ago. It started a few weeks ago doing the same thing all of you are posting. Will it hurt to drive it like this? I can't afford to put $400t into fixing it right now. This is the only transportation I have.

Frank_Hud
0

@susie2267 it should not hurt the way you drive your car whatsoever. I've had this problem for a few years and it has not affected me. A few times if I step on the gas or brake it would grind a little but otherwise it has been fine. The only thing you would need to worry about is the vehicle passing inspection. My mechanic has been passing it. I'd rather not throw $400 either which is why I haven't gotten it fixed lately. I had the sensor replaced before but a month later the same thing again. I will not pay to get it fixed again. Hope I helped!

Jannah_88
250

@susie2267 & Frank_Hud, This issue is dangerous if you don't take care of it after 10,000 miles. At first the issue would only be a noise, then after 10,000 miles,when accelerating and turning in an intersection, it would prevent the car from going, so I would have to let the vehicle roll on its own (by not stepping on the paddle) while turning to prevent my vehicle from stopping. I took my vehicle right away and had the technician go for a drive with me so that they would experience the same issue. After the third time I had this repaired I called Chevrolet Customer and started a complaint. I didn't take their deal and I was told that they would have a vendor do the investigation. From what I was told, Chevrolet Dealerships will be informed and when these types of vehicles with these types of problem are reported and the report shows an increase, they will do a recall and refund my $1,600 I paid for my repair. So everyone, I highly recommend you contact you local Chevrolet Dealerships and inform them of your issue.

Nextinline
10

2012 Chevy Impala grinding in front left wheel area with anti skid light. Occurs when straightening steering wheel from left or right to straight. Happens more in damp weather. Took to dealer today, replace two speed control harness due to corrison and chaffing. This has gradually getting worse, started about 10-12 months ago.

ajaxon
0

2013 Chevy Impala. Service stablitrac, service brake assist, all messages alerting me. Makes a horrible noise and sometimes at take off the car doesnt want to move. Then it will. I am going to have this checked but looked on here to see all the same issues I am having. SOunds like none of the solutions are fixing the problem after time.

53,135

Ajaxon, depending on your mileage and when the car was originally placed into service, you may be still covered by the new car warranty. HTH. -Jim

LindseyB1994
0

I have the same exact problem I own a 2010 Chevy impala Lt I've owned it about 5 months been nothing but issues first the toms sensor broke a week after I bought it I replaced a passenger side wheel hub about a month after buying the car now the service stabiltrak, service brake assist and service abs system lights came on I seriously don't know what the deal is but this is seem in like a common problem with Chevy impala

dmdd66
0

Everyone having this issue should call! I started noticing this same problem within the 1st year (2014) of owning my 2013 Impala. I took it to 2 different dealers 3 times while it was still under warranty. They couldn't find anything wrong, yet it's still doing this and it's become more often! I just called the Chevy Customer service number that Janna_88 suggested to report the problem. Still no recall but looking at all these complaints about the same exact thing there has to be one coming up! Maybe not enough people have reported the problem! If everyone would just call maybe we will see some results. It was easy! I got right through and the rep was very nice. And now they have all my info in case there is a recall down the road. Jhan Chevrolet Customer Assistance Phone Number: 1-866- 790-5700 Extension Number: 5920335 6 of 6 people found this helpful.

ImpalainUtah
0

MrRobinson, your post seems to be helpful and it appears like the mashed wires in the harness would cause sensor problems. However, many others are having problems and no one else has come up with the mashed wire issue. Do you know how they diagnosed the problem to be mashed wires? It would be very helpful to a lot of impala owners to know this, I would think. MrRobinson wrote Hey guys... I'm the original poster. After taking the car to the GM dealer, the problem ended up being two wires were meshed together at the wire harness. They were the cause of all of the sensor issues. It was a $160 dollar repair. All has been great since. no issues at all.

msmary1210
0

Msmary Sept 19 2016 Im having the exact same issue. My stabilitrak service light keeps coming on! Its a 2012 LT with 67,155m. Smh I just replace alternator on here now this!!!!!! Ill be calling GM in the am. Hope to come back to this site with a better update thab now!