Starter keeps going out

5

Asked by Apr 07, 2016 at 03:37 AM about the 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL

I have a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 automatic 4cyl ... I
replaced the starter that was in with another one
becuz it was shot, that was Saturday evening,
Sunday I had a new serpentine belt put on, it drove
perfect. Then Monday it did great but at lunch the
car wouldn't start... I've tried jumping it off,  tried 2
brand new charged batteries and still nothing, I'm
told the starter is out again... And suggestions or
clue as to why it's doing this or what could be
causing it?

86,775

Are the starters your buying new or remanufactured? If remanufactured that is most likely the problem, if they are new then look for a weakness in the main power and ground supplies to the starter. HTH

Best Answer
5

They are used off eBay... Thank you for the help and advice, I've ordered another one but if it happens again I'll get that checked

5

Well the 3rd starter just starter blowing smoke too! The car never even started :( ... Any suggestions??? Also does anyone know what the little thing that connects to my battery and looks like it has fuses in it is called?

86,775

I don't know the real name of it but I have always called it the terminal block, it is where the engineers decided to split off the power supplies for the car, it does have some fuses and some fuselinks in it. 3rd starter blows smoke also, are you sure the engine isn't locked up.

5

@tennisshoes... I don't think the engine is locked up becuz it drove fine for almost 2 days after we put the 2nd starter in, it hasn't made any loud and noticeable noises. I believe it's called the positive battery fuse connector, and I think maybe that could be my problem but Idk, it looks like it got to hot or burnt at some point which might would cause it to not get enough amps and burn up??? I'm not sure exactly how to tell if the motor is locked tho

5

I have no doubt what so ever tho that something with the car is burning up every staevery I put on. I was told it was prob just becuz I bought the starter used off eBay, but the seller replaces it every time and assures me it worked

86,775

This part?

86,775

You should be able to turn the engine by hand with a socket and a breakover bar on the crankshaft bolt on the bottom of the engine.

5

Yes tennisshoes that part! If it's burnt or messed up would that cause the starter to keep going out? And the car to not start? If so is that a universal part or can it be by passed. The motor isn't locked tho

86,775

I doubt if that is the cause, when these parts burn or just plain corrode away everything electrical just quits, you can make up a harness with the needed fuse links if you handy with solder and heat shrink tubes. For a starter to physically smoke there must be a real heavy load on the starter itself, you have checked the starters drive gears on bothe the starters and the engine made sure none of them are damaged, checked for good grounds on both the engine block and the body, made sure the polarity is correct. I have only seen this happen once, a customer said that his car had sat for a few months and of course the battery was dead he had it recharged and put it back into his car and everything just went nuts, when turn on the key, anyway the battery was recharged backwards, positive was now negative and negative was now positive. So double check that. I just can't think of anything else that could cause that problem, unless they are just bad starters.

105

Always use silicone spray on all rubber parts, connectors and use wireloom on all hoses and wires for longevity. Want a longer vehicle life you have to know the secrets.