Has anyone had an problems with the car not able to go over 80MPH?

10

Asked by Jul 15, 2015 at 02:59 PM about the 2012 Nissan Sentra 2.0 SL

I drove my car that I just purchase, 2012 Nissan Sentra out of town. About an hour away. Drove up just fine. But as I was coming back into town, I wanted to pass a car, so switched lanes, I pressed the gas pedal and it didn't want to go any faster, it felt like it was losing power, but it was still on. So I exited the freeway thinking maybe the floor mat got stuck under the pedal. So I removed the mat. Got back on the freeway and it did it again. So I decided just to drive a little slower than others. I took it to the dealership that I bought it from, they test drove the car and put it on the computer to see if any errors popped up, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The engine light didn't come on at all. Can anyone help me with this?

25,535

sounds like what they call>laying down< .first try to add a additive to your gas..like ZMAX....also check the fuel pressure for run mode...

95,145

What were the RPM's at 80 MPH?

Hi Kelly, you don't think it a governor? That was my first thought.Ok. You say you wanted to pass a car. But how fast were you going at the time? I fully understand that sometimes when passing, especially on a 2-lane road, and say a car/truck is in front of you doing 60 and to get around it safely, dawdling is more dangerous than getting up to 80+, and pass and be done with it. I frequent US 395 in Eastern Calif that the speed limit is 65, a two-lane (one each direction) and my little Corolla can and will pass a truck doing 55 and I stomp on it and get up to 85-90 mph. But for only as long as it takes to pass and get back to cruising at 68, where I set my cruise control. But I normally do that. 68. Your Nissan has a bigger engine than my Corolla, Theresa and really should go faster than 80.... but back to my inquiry: How fast were you going to try to accelerate from?

And Hey t-shoes. Good question

10

@tennisshoes, was not looking at my RPM's so not sure what it said. @FordNut, I was going the speed limit which was 75MPH, so passing a car that was going slower than that, so tried to go about 80 to pass and resume at 75, but it wouldn't let me.

Hmmm....that blows my thoughts out of the water. I was thinking you were already doing 80 or more Theresa and didn't get the response you expected. I defer to those guys, they know more than I do anyway

10

@ FordNut, I am thinking of taking it again on a shorter test drive on the freeway to see if it does it again. Some people say it can be the fuel throttle sensor or the fuel injectors, who knows. Or just maybe it could have been a small air bubble in the gas line, I don't know!

25,535

first thing that came to my mind was the governor... but i thought im not on my 5 hp briggs mini bike

19,855

Theresa, I'm sorry to hear all this. Where did you purchase your car? You know, unless you purchased the car "as is" with no warranty, there's usually a period of time, 1 year, 12 months or at the least 90 days and three months for a car. I would definitely recommend getting a second opinion from a Nissan or independent garage on what's wrong and assuming you didn't purchase this "as is", you might have some recourse. Could be something as simple as a fuel filter. Who knows? But, the people that sold you this car should have been more helpful, don't you think? You might want to remind them that they depend on referrals and you're not likely to recommend them to people you know if they're not treating you and others with respect. The top speed of your car according to this link below is 118 mph , so, you should have easily been able to go to 95 or more easily. However, I must remind you that this is "exhibition of speed", it's illegal and you can lose your license and go to jail in some cases. How many miles are on your car? http://www.autoevolution.com/cars/nissan-sentra- 2012.html#aeng_nissan-sentra-2012-18l-130-hp

25,535

like i said >sounds like what they call>laying down< .first try to add a additive to your gas..like ZMAX....also check the fuel pressure for run mode...

10

@Markw1952, it only has a little over 65,000 miles on the car.

it is the transmission. i have the same car and it acting the same way and a couple days later it died completely. i said return that car asap before you get stuck with repAIRING OR REPLACE THE TRANSMISSION. the transmission is not cheap....it is est. about 4000.00 plus to replace it and nissan will not helps you just like mine. iam stuck and wanted help you not to get stuck too....rtn the car asap and avoid the problems. get an hyundai or toyota they much better quality and better engineer. hopde this helpful

I have hit over 80mph+ and there are no problems.