"Low Engine Oil Pressure" Do I really need a new engine?

10

Asked by May 06, 2016 at 05:51 PM about the 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4-Door 4WD

So i took my Jeep into the shop today to get it looked over because my oil
pressure drops really low when i have it in idle. (which i know is normal but it
was really low so i got it looked at) The mechanic basically told me ill need a
new engine "soon, or it could last me 10 years". it hasnt started knocking yet
and i dont want to have to buy a new engine. Suggestions?

118,745

Low oil pressure, if it isn't the oil pump, is usually caused by worn engine bearings, you can try using a heavier weight oil as the outside temps rise but this is only treating a symptom not the real problem.

66,745

What tennisshoes said.

10

I'm just baffled a little by how the only fix is to get an entire new engine

118,745

You don't have too, you can have yours rebuilt, but you won't get the warranty that you would if you had it replaced.

10

Would that be cheaper than replacing the whole thing?

118,745

There in lies the rub, usually it does not, cause there is more labor involved and your rig is down a lot longer, then of course there is always the unforeseen complication that comes along and really set it all back, like a pin hole in the block or it needs line bored, something. That's why most places just replace the unit anymore, that way you and the installer are covered if something happens to the replacement within the warranty period, in the long run it is actually cheaper to replace the engine if your having to done at a shop.

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

Thanks a lot, you've given me some comfort in my engine problems

118,745

As it isn't knocking yet, I would run like a racing oil in it say a 20/50 during the summer and drop back to a 10/40 or a 10/30 if that is too heavy for winter and give it time to warm up when it is cold. Or you could use power punch oil additive during each oil change, you need to try and keep the pressures up so the top end of the engine gets lube, the lifters will start clicking when they loose oil pressure, so be aware of that. HTH

Try a high volume oil pump first

10

you can test your oil pump.remove it and test it for wear

20

If you want to budget fix it, you can replace the rod bearings and oil pump. I inspected my main bearings and they all still had the white coating on them. But the rod bearings were shot. I had zero oil pressure at idle when hot. I first just replaced the rod bearings but it still had low pressure so I went back in and installed a stock pressure Melling oil pump. Now it idles at 25lbs hot idle and 42lbs highway. If you your crank journals are in good shape you can put new bearings in. Might as well replace the rear main seal while you’re in there, regardless if it’s leaking or not. Replace it. When you replace the bearings YOU HAVE TO BREAKE THEM IN...... Just like if it was a new engine. People that do this and trash the new bearings are driving their Jeep/car like before they put the new bearings in and ruin them. You need at least 500 miles on the new bearings before you horse beat it. I’ve done this on 3-4 cars in my life and all were fine with no issues. My 1990 XJ 4.0 has new rod bearings, seals and gaskets and runs great. Not a drip and I now have 5000 miles on the bearings at 25 hot idle and 42lbs driving. If it doesn’t smoke and the journals look good it can be done. Less than $100 and some elbow grease and you will be good to go.

20

If you want to budget fix it, you can replace the rod bearings and oil pump. I inspected my main bearings and they all still had the white coating on them. But the rod bearings were shot. I had zero oil pressure at idle when hot. I first just replaced the rod bearings but it still had low pressure so I went back in and installed a stock pressure Melling oil pump. Now it idles at 25lbs hot idle and 42lbs highway. If you your crank journals are in good shape you can put new bearings in. Might as well replace the rear main seal while you’re in there, regardless if it’s leaking or not. Replace it. When you replace the bearings YOU HAVE TO BREAKE THEM IN...... Just like if it was a new engine. People that do this and trash the new bearings are driving their Jeep/car like before they put the new bearings in and ruin them. You need at least 500 miles on the new bearings before you horse beat it. I’ve done this on 3-4 cars in my life and all were fine with no issues. My 1990 XJ 4.0 has new rod bearings, seals and gaskets and runs great. Not a drip and I now have 5000 miles on the bearings at 25 hot idle and 42lbs driving. If it doesn’t smoke and the journals look good it can be done. Less than $100 and some elbow grease and you will be good to go. My Jeep XJ 4.0 has over 200,000 miles on it.

First replace your oil pressure sensor. It is located just above the oil filter and is a common problem. I was getting low and no oil pressure readings on occasion. My mechanic charged me about $120 parts and labour. Now it reads sixty. '98 Cherokee 4.0L